Complete France Forum

Imporeting my classis car to France

Austin

Help!

I recently bought a 1974 Triumph TR6 fromn a good friend who had owned it in California, USA.  He had owned the car for about 5 years.  On returning to the UK, he brought the car with him.  Since my wife and I will be emmigrating to France )when we sell the house), and the car is Left Hand Drive, I bought it.

Is this now considered a 'grey import'?  If so, what does this mean when we (finally) get to France?

Can somebody help me, please?

Regards,

Austin

Austin

Unfortunately, your US specification car will not be type approved for France, so it is a 'grey' import.  Whilst it is still possible to obtain French type approval certificates for UK/EU spec Triumphs, I suspect you will have difficulty obtaining the necessary documentation/approval for your US car, given that Triumph/Rover Group are no more.

To see if this is possible, contact the following company with details of your vehicle:

ABP
254 Avenue du President Wilson
93210 ST DENIS

e-mail: abp102@wanadoo.fr

Tel./fax: 01 34 73 48 02
mobile: 06 72 61 61 25

If Patrick can't help you, then that leaves you with only one option - registering it under the classic car scheme (voitures de collection). 

For this, you will need to apply to the [url=http://www.ffve.org]Fédération Francaise des Véhicules d'Epoque[/url] for a type approval exemption attestation  You will also have to complete a customs import declaration at your local French tax office and if it is still on it's original US registration, then you'll have to pay French import taxes/VAT.  Finally you will need a fresh controle technique certificate.

At the moment, the classic registration limits you to driving in your own and neighbouring departments, although you can buy a book of carnets from the FFVE which you must get stamped at your prefecture, allowing you to travel outside those limits in the event of you attending a rally or other such event (by invitation only).  Rumours abound that these travel restrictions are due to be relaxed next year.

No, it only applies to unofficial imports.  For example, Chrysler Jeeps built for the UK market and imported by the UK concessionnaire are "official" imports. US registered Jeeps bought by individuals in the States then shipped over are "unofficial".

Yes, all non-type approved vehicles are 'grey' imports and need to pass an SVA inspection.

Mazda in respect of the MX5 make it pretty difficult to get a Eudos registered in France. Our accross the road neighbours in 87 had a few problems getting an RHD E type originally registered in Japan which they imported from New Zeaamd registered. Their TR4 had been imported from the USA by a Parisian and they had no problems moving it from 75 to 87 plates .

I suspect more of the probelms come from the franshised importers than come from the manufacturues

Hi, Sunday Driver,

I have been in touch with Patrice, as you suggested, and he has given me the following advice.

Since the car was imported to England, had an SVA test, followed by an MOT test, and has been registered for use in England, there will be no difficulty in re-exporting it to France (it will be coming from an EEC country).  I will have tp ay a 150euro fee, and subsequently register it in my domicile region.

I thought you might like to know.

Many thanks for your help.

Austin

Austin

As a US spec car, it would have had to go through a UK SVA in order to be registered there.  As it won't have have been type approved for France either, it'll have to go through a French SVA test as well. 

The problem I could see was with you being able to obtain your vehicle's technical data so that you could put it through the test.  If Patrice says he can supply an attestation, then fine.  Good news is, the original US lights/belts, emissions, etc will have been approved for the UK, so apart from the headlamps, you shouldn't need to make any modifications to the vehicle for the test.

Let us know how you get on.

PS: Patrice Vatier was head of customer technical relations for BL/Rover France for 25 years or so.  He owns a Mk2 Spitfire...

Archived