Complete France Forum

French version of an SVA test (sunday driver Please!)

Onion van man

From the little I've read on other threads, the issue of grey imports in France is so miniscule that there probably isn't a coherent set of rules anyway! (then again, is there ever?).

Probably best to ask at your local drire/prefecture or whatever it is.

Onion

There is no time cut-off for SVA tests in France.  A vehicle either has EUWVTA, French national type approval or nothing at all, in which case an SVA is required.

Bones

The issue of grey imports in France is a regular topic on this forum and has been discussed several times in past threads.  Contrary to what you might imagine, there is, as one would expect, a fully coherent set of rules relating to the import of these vehicles and they are published by the relevant French technical authority (DRIRE).  These rules have formed the basis of previous advice given to members who have subsequently proceeded to have their vehicles type approved for use in France. 

I dunno about that SD, I read one thread where the bloke at the drire made it simple - suspiciously so imo - for one particular person to register his grey import (something to do with a VIN type plate - "oh, just make it up yourself" - recall that one?).

I think it's perfectly fair to say that it sometimes depends who you get (at whatever office you are visiting), and where you live (if you follow me).

I've been down to get a CG for a French car and have been told that my european driving license wasn't sufficient id (by two people); then returned with my passport and been told that the license would have been fine. There's been another saga on these threads concerning a person having nightmares registering her English Land Rover in Carcassonne. It's pretty typical Kafakaesque behaviour and such behaviour is more likely when dealing in grey areas (if you'll pardon the pun).  Sometimes it's understandable, and I don't think it's a uniquely French thing either.

That's why I advised the original poster to go down and enquire himself in the first instance.

Bad advice?

( edit: I take your point though: if there are a coherent set of rules then there are a coherent set of rules  [;-)]  )

[quote user="Bones"]I dunno about that SD, I read one thread where the bloke at the drire made it simple - suspiciously so imo - for one particular person to register his grey import (something to do with a VIN type plate - "oh, just make it up yourself" - recall that one?).[/quote]

All Japanese grey imports have their own chassis number. its 17 digits long compared to the european ones which should be 21 digits.

[quote user="Bones"]I think it's perfectly fair to say that it sometimes depends who you get (at whatever office you are visiting), and where you live (if you follow me).

I've been down to get a CG for a French car and have been told that my european driving license wasn't sufficient id (by two people); then returned with my passport and been told that the license would have been fine. There's been another saga on these threads concerning a person having nightmares registering her English Land Rover in Carcassonne. It's pretty typical Kafakaesque behaviour and such behaviour is more likely when dealing in grey areas (if you'll pardon the pun).  Sometimes it's understandable, and I don't think it's a uniquely French thing either.

That's why I advised the original poster to go down and enquire himself in the first instance.

Bad advice?

( edit: I take your point though: if there are a coherent set of rules then there are a coherent set of rules  [;-)]  )

[/quote]

Its like that here in the UK too. One set of rules and its interpreted differently by almost all the SVA testing stations. I had one london testing station get a two handed grip on a part of the wiring then put his foot on the bodywork and pulled like hell, then he failed the car on insecure wiring.

What concerns  me is the Jap Import I'm thinking of bringing over with me was never made in LHD so no headlamps available for LHD however, I could convert them I think. Depends how difficult the drire are with Imports.

I was hoping that the French would have the 10 year cut off like we have here but, as SD has confirmed they don't.

Thanks for the replies people.

"What concerns  me is the Jap Import I'm thinking of bringing over with

me was never made in LHD so no headlamps available for LHD however, I

could convert them I think. Depends how difficult the drire are with

Imports."

Oh dear! Sounds like a killer to me...

Good luck with that, and let us know how you got on.

Archived