Complete France Forum

France or not?

My partner and I, mid 50's, are looking to buy a place for 2nd home then retirement, and have narrowed our search down to 2 areas - SW France (Lot & Garonne, Dordogne, Gironde etc.), and rural Andalucia in the general Seville area (big difference I know). We enjoy sun/pool, countryside walks, and eating out etc. I realise it's all a matter of personal choice, but looking for 1st hand feedback on living in SW France, especially re. weather - storms, rains a lot? and eating out - expensive? much choice? - to compare with Spain. Thanks.

We live in SW France - Gers - and don't get much rain. In the summer the pattern seems to be hotter and hotter then a storm. We have some fantastic thunder storms. Winters can be very cold, colder than uk. We have hardly any wind. We don't eat out much so can't comment on that, though friends say it's not expensive. People round here seem to go for steak chips and salad with a glass of wine, rather than anything exotic. Have you visited the area? If not you really should do, in winter preferably, to help you make up your mind. Pat.

If you like country walks, I would think SW France would beat Andalucia hands down. The variances in countryside/landscape together with a great history of providing walking trails is something i dont think you will find in Spain.

Bob

It all depends on your priorities.

If you are look for warm or even mild winters in your retirement, then France is not really a good choice. As winters in France, even in the south, can be surprisingly cold and heating bills are expensive.

I would recommend you visit your shortlisted areas in winter and summer before committing yourself.

Dont think that Spain cant get cold in the Winter, we stayed with some friends in Feb at their place near Mijas and I can honestly say I have never been so cold in my life. I could hardly sleep because of the cold.

Property in Spain especially new builds are not geared up to being heated, they are geared to staying cool in summer.

But I agree try both areas summer & winter.

Problem is property in Spain will probably have gone up by another 15-20%.

Bob

We have a house between Ste Foy la Grande and Montpon (Dordogne but close to Gironde) and hope to live there by next summer. Its in quite an elevated position (away from the river valley) and seems to have a breeze most of the time, which is great in summer. Last winter was talked about as being colder than the norm but I don't have the experience to judge.

Eating out - lunch menus - excellent value from 11 euros (3-4 courses inc wine). Evening menus - anything you want to pay really, set menus vary, 18e, 28e, 36e, etc. Duck is the regional speciality.

We're taking an extending holiday this summer and hope to find lots of places to walk. There are plenty of cycle routes in the area, other activities include canoeing, kayaking, tennis. When we live there we'd hope to be able to drive 3-4 hrs to ski areas.

Good luck

Linda

Ouch! This is really tricky. We have a home in SW France ( Charente Maritime but the very SW bit of it,we're about 60miles north of Bordeaux)and I love it, not sure if I'd want to retire to it though! I love Seville ( my daughter went to uni there),it's a fabulous City and I love the area,especially Jerez,Cadiz is a bit scruffy. I would love to live in Seville and did look at house prices but I felt it was just SO Spanish-brill for holidays,not sure I could live there but then I don't speak Spanish-if I did things might be different. What an exciting choice, good luck with it

I think Lizzie has made a good point.  She doesn't speak Spanish, so it's best to keep Spain for holidays!  Do you speak French or Spanish, both or neither?  I would suggest that to fully enjoy where you are living, if you intend to make it a permenent home, then the ability to speak the local language to some degree will go a long way to helping you to make the most out of your life there.

[quote]I think Lizzie has made a good point. She doesn't speak Spanish, so it's best to keep Spain for holidays! Do you speak French or Spanish, both or neither? I would suggest that to fully enjoy where ...[/quote]

Talking to friends the cost of living in Spain is cheaper than SW France where we are. I think you need to sit down and make a list of what you want in your new life then go and see where best fulfills your criteria. If after that you are not sure, then rent before you buy!

Thanks all for those helpful replies. As was sensibly suggested by everyone, we really have to rent for a bit first and see if it feels right. I think we're leaning towards France for a couple of reasons including the more varied and verdant countryside, culture and convenience (driveable). Language isn't really an issue cos I can just get by in both Fr and Sp and am confident I could quickly improve if on location.  I realise the winters can be cold in France, and they can in Spain too (as Widnesbob discovered) - in fact on the costas - and also around Seville - they've just had the coldest winter for decades!

I anticipate visiting France for a week in the next few weeks, for the purpose of finding a place for medium term (3-5 months) rental. Maybe I should start another thread for this, but can anyone suggest the best method to find a medium term rental property - preferably house not apartment - in or near Niort, Angoulême, or Bordeaux - websites or wait till get there and look in local ads?

People (ie me) don't like renting out for such short periods.  However, if you wait until the autumn, you can often find a gîte that the owner will be only too pleased to rent to you whilst it is 'quiet'.

If you can stand the winter in a place....

Otherwise, the local newspapers often have rentals in.

[quote]People (ie me) don't like renting out for such short periods. However, if you wait until the autumn, you can often find a gîte that the owner will be only too pleased to rent to you whilst it is 'qui...[/quote]

Most gite owners wouldn't have that sort of availability at this time of year, but after October may well be interested in a 3 month let! It would be a good time of year to test the waters too- anyone would love to live in this area in the summer, it's wonderful- that's not the issue- you need to experience the quiet,cooler months

Archived