Complete France Forum

Can I sell a car for spares or repair in France ?

Bugsy

We have an old Citroen AX which we want to dispose of. It's really too good to take to the breakers and might suit someone who needs a small runabout.

What I want to know is can I dispose of it legally by selling it for spares or repair? and if so what is the corect proceedure.

Thanks.

Must admit it looks good but in "perfect" condition after 13 years on the road in France might be stretching it a bit I think ?

I can only presume that "perfect" has a similar difference of definition in France to the word "habitable" [;-)]

The damage doesn't look to bad actually and if it were closer I might be tempted myself.

A Vendre "dans L`etat" seems to be the phrase to cover cars that are sold "as seen" or for parts. Especially if the CT isnt within the 6-month window.

Some guys came round asking if we had scrap metal they could uplift. They were happy to buy our old French-reg AX diesel and my old Uk-reg 106 diesel. They gave a reasonable price and didnt give a stuff about the paperwork. I suspect the cars were broken up for parts.

I have heard that, but Im not sure how much attention people pay to it.

I know you cant just cancel existing insurance like you can in UK, you have to provide the insurer with proof the car is sold or scrapped before they will stop the policy, but as for the requirements to keep an unused car insured, I dont know.

Our neighbour has several cars in his garden, ranging from an old Ami8 to a `99 Skoda. None of them run and none of them are insured.

Yes cars can be sold for parts and this is covered by ticking the appropriate box on the Carte Grise or the sale form which is completed at the time of the sale, can't remember which st this moment but I know you must do it, keep a copy to show to your insurer.

[quote user="dave21478"]

I have heard that, but Im not sure how much attention people pay to it.

I know you cant just cancel existing insurance like you can in UK, you have to provide the insurer with proof the car is sold or scrapped before they will stop the policy, but as for the requirements to keep an unused car insured, I dont know.

Our neighbour has several cars in his garden, ranging from an old Ami8 to a `99 Skoda. None of them run and none of them are insured.

[/quote]

All vehicles that are not on the road MUST be covered by minimum insurance. We have had to do this recently with one vehicle that we are not using currently and which needs a new CT. Basically it is to cover a third party should they decide to hurt themselves with this vehicle just by passing by etc,cover you in case it is stolen and used in an accident or simply bursts into flames endangering life. If it has a motor and goes,it has to be insured no way out. Obviously if you have an ancient wreck in the garden that is a different matter. An insurance policy for a scrapped car can only be cancelled by producing an attestation from the scrapyard that it no longer exists.

[quote user="Val_2"]If it has a motor and goes,it has to be insured no way out[/quote]I hear what you're saying Val_2 but thats far too vague and there has to be a more precise definition than that. If one were to simply remove the spark plugs for instance a car still has a motor but clearly no longer "goes". If that's not enough one could go a step further and remove maybe a major part, or the engine entirely, at what point is it said to no longer "go" ?

On the face of it, ancient wrecks in the garden excepted, there would seem to be only 3 categories into which a car can fall.

1. In use on the road with a valid CT and insurance etc.

2. Not in use, off the road, possibly with expired CT, but still insured.

3. Scrapped and sent to the scrapyard.

Somehow though I tend to feel that there must be untold numbers of cars laying around which don't fit into any of these slots.

I know that if you want to not renew an insurance policy you have to inform the company well in advance but I can't recall seeing or reading anything about telling that insurer that the vehicle has been reinsured elsewhere, nor proving it has been, and if there is no obligation to do so then, illegal or not, what in practice is there to prevent you parking up an old car in your back yard or garage and saying nothing to anyone ?

The code de la route states that "de mettre ou de maintenir en circulation" a vehicle or trailer or semi trailer without being covered by an insurance guaranteeing its civil liability in accordance with the provisions of the article L. 211-1 of the insurance code is punishable by a 3,750€ fine.

That means a vehicle which is capable of being driven on the road must be covered for third party risks even if it is currently 'off road'.  The code specifically refers to the need to cover potential unauthorised use of the vehicle as mentioned by Val_2.

A vehicle which is mechanically immobilised and cannot be driven would seem to fall outside this definition, therefore would likely be exempt from this requirement.

If you merely parked up an uninsured drivable car and someone took it without your knowledge and caused an accident, then you'd be dipping deep in your pocket....

We can always trust SD to come up with the goodies [;-)]

So there you go Val_2, take the spark plugs out or a wheel off, cancel that insurance, and buy yourself a nice bottle of wine instead [:D]

Out of interest how much is/was the minimum insurance ?

PS: Don't let Gordon (or is it Alaistair now) get wind of this, they're more than half way there already with the SORN regulations....[:-))]

Archived