Complete France Forum

changing my number plates to french ones

paris

[8-)]can somebody help me please i have been told by numerous people that i now have to change my number plates to french plates within 30 days of my insurance running out.  the problem i have is i am trying to sell my house to go back to the uk to live, is there any way of getting out of this as you never know i could have a quick sale.  i dont want to be changing english to french and french to english if possible as this will work out costly.  the other question is if i manage to sell before i have to change my uk plates over will i be allowed to keep them in the uk as i have been out of the country for over a year.  thanking you all in advance.

paris[:D]

Paris, you could try re-reading the answers to your original question that you posted some months ago, where Sunday Driver told you that it had nothing to do with insurance but had to be done within 30 days of taking up permanent residence in France.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/913778/ShowPost.aspx

I don't claim to have any knowledge whatsoever about this, but I do trust Sunday Driver's advice, he knows what he's talking about.

[quote user="paris"]

[8-)]can somebody help me please i have been told by numerous people that i now have to change my number plates to french plates within 30 days of my insurance running out. 

[/quote]

[quote user="Six months ago Sunday Driver"]

The rule for changing plates hasn't changed - it is 30 days from taking up permanent residence in France. The insurance running out has nothing to do with it.

[/quote]

You clearly didn't want to follow all the detailed advice you were given back then, so why should we bother to waste our time again?

[quote user="paris"]i know i have to change the plates to french as i have french insurance and no british tax[/quote]

By ignoring the previously given advice the OP has demonstrated him/her self to be "chancer" and just another Brit on the road illegally.

Of course, apart from on a temporary basis as part of the registration process, it is not possible to have French insurance on a car on UK plates so whatever cover the OP thinks he/she has is invalid so he/she is already driving around uninsured.

With expired UK Tax he/she is also now in limbo land. We don't know if the car has been SORN'd or exported or, more likely I suspect, neither, in which case, an offence, or offences, will be committed the instant the wheels touch UK soil.

Archived