Complete France Forum

UK Credit/Debit cards at petrol stations

AnOther

I know this question comes up from time to time so thought I'd say that I've just completed a Calais - Cahors run and used my Nationwide Visa Debit card for all 3 fuel stops without problems.

Also enjoyed breaking in my new Telepeage gizmo and loved the feeling of smugness as I sailed through virtully unhindered as the other, lesser mortals, queued up to pay....te he he [:D]

Bit disappointed with SWMBO though as one of the reasons I got it was out of consideration for my beloved so when she was trying to catch some zzZZZz's I would no longer have to wake her up with "Peage dear" usually just as she was nodding off, but of course on this trip she hardly bl**dy slept at all did she, I feel cheated !

ErnieY

Lovely to have you back in France.  Why don't you use your credit card instead of your debit?  I, personally always feel that your debit card is potentially more "dangerous" to use.  After all, you are likely to have more money in your bank account than in your credit card account.  So, if someone gets hold of your details, they have access to more of your money. Also, debit cards act like cash and it's like handing money over.  No problems at the peage, of course.

But, I have had friends who have used their debit cards to set up, say, subscriptions to magazines or to pay for things on the net and been unable to cancel their instructions because, like cash, once the money's been handed over, it's difficult to get it back!

With credit cards, you are, at least in theory, protected by the card provider for certain purchases over a certain value.

Call me cautious, but I don't like handing over a full wallet for someone to help themselves from!

Have a lovely stay and please keep posting whilst you are here!

Thanks for the advice and concern sweet17 and also for the welcome back however I've only been away for 2 days [kiss]

I take your point about debit -v- credit cards but it's the other way round for me as I only keep enough on my debit card for my needs whereas my credit card, which I seldom use, has an unused 10k limit so I know which one I'd prefer to get hijacked...!

I have a second card with a very low limit specifically for online use.

This protection is under review by the UK banks and courts BTW, if not for UK purchases certainly for foreign spending. Their argument is that they are being obliged to underwrite payments to foreign traders and merchants etc. most of whom thay have no knowledge or experience of and whilst I have little sympathy for banks it is an argument not without merit and I believe UK is unique in covering foreign credit card payments in this way.

I think the case has been heard but judgement has been reserved for some months, not 100% sure.

Talking about getting money back on a credit card, I once paid for a tank of heating oil in UK and the amount which appeared on my statement was significanly higher I had been quoted. The supplier promised to investigate but after a month I'd heard nothing so I contacted the card company who put the payment into dispute. This eventually triggered a full refund of the entire payment (some £500+) and I sat back and waited for the oil supplier to squeal but to my surprise and delight they never did so I got it for free............!

Archived