Complete France Forum

Automatic LHD

mint

My OH is looking to buy a new or nearly new car and, as a concession to me, he is looking for an automatic.  He's more or less narrowed the search down to Mazda 6 Estate or Toyota Avensis Estate.

I contacted an agency in Bordeaux and had an email to say that there are NO automatic versions of these cars.  Is he correct in saying this?  I ask because I am not sure whether he tells us this because he doesn't stock them or whether these cars really do not exist.

If it's true that these cars are unavailable in France, then are they available in a neighbouring country?

SD, Pierre, Bugbear, do you know?

No probs.  Do bear in mind though that the French aren't in general into autos (possibly because of the increased fuel consumption and therefore running costs) so new would probably be your only option if you buy here (the Mazda) and you could have to wait quite a while.

I know somebody who has a Mazda Premacy MPV for sale. It's an automatic, 2.0 petrol, french registered LHD, has 60,0000 approx km and 4 years old. The person who owns it is returning to the UK for good at the end of next week. To the best of my knowledge it is still for sale.

aj

Changing gear with the right hand is no big deal, in fact I find changing with my left in a RHD car a bit akward now.

Anyway, neither the Mazda or the Avensis comes in LHD in Luxembourg, which I find really strange.

Bear in mind that the Mazda is EXACTLY the same as a Ford Mondeo, it comes off the same production line! and that does have an auto option.

aj_dr

I have sent you a pm.

Pierre

OH more or less settled on a Mazda 6 break.  Not really my problem as I still have my old Hyundai Lantra automatic estate.

IF I had my way, I'd have a Hyundai Tucson as you do, but I promised him he could have what he wants as it's not really my car!

[quote user="aj_dr"]I know somebody who has a Mazda Premacy MPV for sale. It's an automatic, 2.0 petrol, french registered LHD, has 60,0000 approx km and 4 years old. The person who owns it is returning to the UK for good at the end of next week. To the best of my knowledge it is still for sale.

aj
[/quote]

Just want to say "thank you" for the tip off.  Shame we couldn't buy it directly from your friend.  But, we have now tracked it down to the garage you so kindly told us about and bought it today.

As the OH was all for buying a brand new Mazda break, this has represented quite a nice saving for us.  The garage is going to do a bit of work on the bumper, tidy it up, etc and we should collect in about 2 weeks.  Fancy a ride in our new car then?  Well, you have our phone number!

Tell your friend in the UK and we'll be glad to give HER a ride too, if she comes back this way!

Cheers!

Archived