Complete France Forum

Changing to a French driving licence for medical reasons

Helen

Two years ago I developed type 1 diabetes and have to inject insulin. My licence is a British one and I know that to keep it valid I would have to declare this and would only be given a three year licence subject to medical checks. As I live in France this is impossible and I won't drive because I don't have a valid licence. I've always been a nevous driver and have  used this as an excuse not to drive since then (and psychologically its become worse)

I know that diabetes has to be declared for a new permis in France but unlike in the UK  doesn't have to be declared if it is later developed. So does anyone know if I would be able to exchange my licence without medical questions. (my docter couldn't understand my problem, she says I'm fine to drive as long as I take normal precautions)

Any suggestions, advice?

If you're a nervous driver on familar territory, i.e UK, and you say you've got worse, then driving in France could be a nightmare for you.

As for your licence, is it really impossible to get checked every three years in UK. Your doctor in France sounds a bit too laid back and casual and remember, it won't be him who suffers the consequences if, god forbid, something happened out on the road linked to your Diabetes. You'd have the comfort of knowing that you were properly fit to drive (or not) and completely legal too.

Thanks, I'm still confused as to whether an exchange licence counts as a new licence or not. If I already had  a French licence I wouldn't have to inform them.

Que se passe t-il pour un diabetique qui a obtenu son permis de conduire avant de devenir diabetique ?
Dans ce dernier cas, le diabete etant survenu apres l'obtention du permis, la declaration aupres des services de la Prefecture de Police n'est plus obligatoire.
En ce qui concerne les vehicules legers du groupe I (permis A, B) vous pourrez donc conserver le permis permanent que vous possedez, que vous soyez insulino ou non insulino-dependant.

I suppose I'll have to pluck up courage and ask because I'll never start driving aghain if I keep putting it off.

The one good thing being a nervous driver is that stress causes my BS  to go up when I'm in a car so its the one time I'm unlikely to have a hypo.

Archived