Complete France Forum

Certificate of Conformity Problem

bixy

We have been trying for some time to get a Cert for a 1994 manfactured car. We have now been told that Certificates of Conformity were not issued until 1995. Having spent a considerable amount of money getting the car legal in France we are naturally somewhat concerned. Has anyone else come across this problem and found a resolution? All help gratefully received.

Patrick

Only vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1998 come with EU-wide type approval and therefore qualify for an EU certificate of conformity.  Anything earlier than this must comply with French national type approval.  As Nick says, your local DRIRE will be able to supply the necessary French attestation.

Still struggling with this. In fact the DRIRE did not send us any forms and are being somewhat unhelpful. I found the DRIRE website for our region and came across this:

Les véhicules [usagé]s ou [neuf]s importés munis de :

- l'original du certificat de conformité communautaire

- ou d'un titre d'immatriculation européen

peuvent être immatriculés dans des conditions se rapprochant d'un simple changement de département, c'est-à-dire :

• sans perception d'une redevance supplémentaire (autre que celle due à l'établissement de la carte grise)

• directement en préfecture
I take it that the V5C counts as a "titre d'immatriculation europeen", and unless my understanding of French is very bad it seems to me that it's an either or, in which case is it necesary to get an identification from the DRIRE? Very confused.

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]Still struggling with this. In fact the DRIRE did not send us any forms and are being somewhat unhelpful.[/quote]

I downloaded the Drire forms from the Internet, filled them in and took them to Drire* with our V5C and a cheque - they then posted the necessary piece of paper to us - job done.

*We could have posted them to Drire but we had not been to Lorient before so it seemed a good opportunity to have a look around.

Sue

Archived