Complete France Forum

Rouen - how to navigate successfully....

Paul King

Hello,

We have just returned from the Charente and took the A28 North towards Rouen (very easy) but were then directed onto the A13 and told to exit at J23 and then head into Rouen centre and once again pick up the A28 to complete our trip to the Tunnel.  However the trip through Rouen was horrible and one we don't want to repeat - has anyone any alternatives that seek to go around Rouen rather than through it even if its slightly longer?  The journey to Rouen, and past, was very good - we just need to sort Rouen!

Any tips appreciated.

Best Regards

Paul.

The simplest route northbound through Rouen is the one signed for Calais:

Exit A28 onto A13 (direction Paris).

Exit A13 at Junction 22 (direction Calais) - care, get into the nearside lane because the slip road is just on a right hand bend, so a last minute filter across from the faster lanes can be difficult.

You are now on the dual carriageway that goes through the famous industrial estate into Rouen.  Just follow the road, straight over all roundabouts and traffic lights until you approach the city centre.  Look for an up ramp leading off to the right (direction Calais). This feeds you onto a short urban dual carriageway with multiple entries and exits - stay on it in the middle lane - then up the hill through the big tunnel.  Carry on up the A28 for the channel ports.

Southbound is a straight reversal, only this time when you're on the southbound urban dual carriageway after exiting the tunnel, you'll be looking for the signs for Caen/Le Mans.

Sorry Paul, I was referring to Anton's route below

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Has anybody tried ( Going North) :

From A28 joinn A13 in the Caen direction

Immediately leave at Junction 25 signpost Yvetot over Pont de Brontonne

Join A29 at Yerville and then North

Via Michelin says it is about 10 minutes longer but it avoids the grim dual carriage way round Rouen

[/quote]

Never had any trouble in Rouen. Once you've done the route, it's easy the second time around.

Going south, look for a SHARP right hander after crossing the Seine, and I DO mean sharp!!

Do be prapared for some stop/start motoring through all the lights next to Sotteville railway yards, but the only time I've seen any REAL congestion was around 17:30 on a monday night. I still did the whole place in under half an hour, though.

Archived