Complete France Forum

Insurance Claim

ssang13

Hi all

This is my first time on this site, and I wondered if anyone could give me any help, my car was parked in my parking space alloted in a communal garage and overnight, our neighbour came back and hit our car, he has admitted to his insurance company and ours that he hit the wing when trying to park, but he has denied taking out both of the side doors at the same time.

Our insurance company are now saying they will give us 50 per cent of the cost to repair the vehicle and the insurance company will pay the other 50%. The insurance company are saying that we would need a witness to prove he did it all, there is a line that goes from the wing right down passed the indented doors, it is plain to see it is one incident, does anyone have any advice of how we could deal with this, to be honest we don't have the 50 % . We did think today of ringing the ins comp and saying send us a cheque for 50% and we will repair ourselves, but not too sure how we stand on this,plus my french isn't brilliant

Any help would be gratefully received

Many Thanks

SD that is what I thought.

Have a read of the posts here to see how things work here. http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/964794/ShowPost.aspx

Where there is a dispute as to blame in France, assuming that it is a French Insurance company instead of arguing the toss for years as they do in the UK, they go 50-50.  This is not that the insurer pays 50% and the owner 50%, it is the claim is settled by the two insurers and both owners take 50% of the blame in repect of their no claims bonus.  Its no good complaining about it, they will not change it unless your neighbour submits a constat ( european accident reporting form) saying that he did all the damage that you claim.

What did the claim assessor say and what options have you had in respect of a repair?  

My apologies, i didn't explain that very well, our Insurance Company are going to pay 50% and they are asking us to fork out the other 50% sorry for the confusion, they have told us we cannot go ahead with the reapirs unless we personally have the 50% for the repairs

thanks to all who replied

[quote user="ssang13"]

My apologies, i didn't explain that very well, our Insurance Company are going to pay 50% and they are asking us to fork out the other 50% sorry for the confusion, they have told us we cannot go ahead with the reapirs unless we personally have the 50% for the repairs

thanks to all who replied

[/quote]

Are you possibly insured third party and not fully comp?

Hi all

Thank you so much for your responses, i have spoken to the insurance company this morning, and they have agreed to let us keep the car, and give us a cheque for half of the damage, so we are happy with that, and maybe my husband can repair himself at some point.

So thanks again to you all have a great day

Archived