Complete France Forum

Finding a large table for terrace

Have just spent the second long hot day trawling around shops looking for a large table for use outdoors on our terrace (i.e. can seat 8 people).

Don't want plastic - too light in a wind and a bit downmarket for inviting people for lunch.

Don't want wood - too much hassle to maintain looking nice.

Don't want glass, clear glass anyway.

Don't want these pseudo-"distressed" tile-topped things that always look dusty.

OK, so I'm a bit picky.

Has anyone seen anything different anywhere.  Perhaps fer forge base with metallic/granite/marble/ceramic top???????

Please help before I go bonkers

Chrissie (81)

fer forge base with metallic/granite/marble/ceramic top???????

I was about to suggest exactly this, Chrissie.  They look terrific and are weather resistant (treat the wrought iron base).  Only problem is, be sure you know in advance exactly where you want to place it as the tops can weigh a ton and you don't want to be moving it around all that often.  We have a dark green marble one but I sometimes think I prefer my friend's with her black/grey veined top.  She also has wrought iron chairs, which look stunning, though are a pain to shift. 

Alternatively, friends in the Lot have a gorgeous old weathered wooden table (chestnut, I think)that looks better every time I see it.  It is naturally distressed but looks good even when dressed up with linen place mats and nice silver.  They've had it for years and only put it under shelter during particularly wet periods. 

M

I like the idea of the marble-topped ones (what do you mean "treat the fer forge"?????)

But WHERE can I get one, except by lucky chance at a depot-vente (and I don't think anyone ever gets rid of things like that.....

Chrissie (81)

When you said large I was thinking for 12. And that you would have to get one made. I think that you are just going to have to check out places like Casa, as well as furniture shops like Conforama and the usual brico's and hyper markets. For 8 isn't that big and you should find one somewhere.

The previous owner had left the base of an ol treadle sewing machine which was cast iron and heavy. I used it as a table base, and bought a piece of exterior grade plywood (contreplaqué) from the builders merchants, and a sheet of zinc, which I cut with snips and tin shears (cuts really easily). Then hammered and bent it round the plywood, finishing off by nailing the bent over bits with copper hardboard pins. It stays outside all year round, and very quickly acquired that nice dull mottled patina. Looks great, though I say so myself!

Archived