Complete France Forum

Insurance for 2nd Hand UK Car

cruddler

Can anyone recommend a French insurer that will insure a car bought 2nd hand in the UK? We've been using Assurland as a starting point and bar a couple of ludicrous quotes of over 1200E for what is 10 year old CV6 rated car every other quote falls down because they wont insure a UK bought 2nd hand car.

I get the felling either I'm missing something in your posting or you're not giving us the whole story. [:D]

Stop and think how many Brits have brought their cars over here got them insured and then eventually put them onto French plates.

It doesn't matter that they're now on French plates but they still were originally bought in the UK.

Thanks for your replies.

Benjamin, there is no more to the story. Its a UK registered 10 year old VW that we bought earlier this month and are in the process of registering in France but that we need to re-insure in the meantime. Everyone so far that has come up with a sensible quote ie sub 600E (Ineas, Direct Assurance for example) has had a clause stating that they wont insure a 2nd hand car bought in the UK.

Ineas: "Ineas n'assure pas les véhicules d'occasion achetés à l'étranger."

I don't why an insurance company would say this, it makes no sense.

It means you cannot insure a car bought outside of France, (abroad does not just mean UK [Www]) and is utterly ridiculous.

In my own case I brought over a car which was originally registered in Belgium, exported to UK then imported to France and I got it insured no problem, even towing a big trailer.

Try speaking to my car insurance agent, he's extremly helpful and won't BS you.

Nick Chubb
ASTTRAL SA
Tel.  04 68 32 41 20
Fax  04 68 32 58 80
www.asttral.com

PS: I have no connection with the company other than having had excellent service from them.

Thanks Ernie and will do.

We are currently in the UK hence why we cant go to our local agent as you suggested earlier btw and our insurance expires before we are due to return...serves me right for assuming it would be straighforward to arrange online I suppose :-(

Andy

Archived