Complete France Forum

Importing US spec 2007 Ducati and BMW bike?

pazzo rosso

Hi,

These would be my personal bikes coming in with my stuff from the US.

From what I can glean I need to get a provisionary CoC, get a dealer to make the necessary changes to the bike, get necessary paperwork and get plates. I understand it's not that easy but them are the steps, roughly.

The hard part is that Ducati says that it doesn't give out CoCs, can the French Ducati dealers do it?

"Your local dealer should be able to do this and issue a certificat de bridage which you can then take to the DRIRE to obtain a single vehicle type approval certificate.  With this magic piece of paper, you can do to the prefecture to register" - SD

What about BMW? I haven't heard from them what the differences are US to EU but I imagine it's not cheap. Cheaper than buying the same bike in France though!

I just want to be sure I can ultimately register the bikes in France somehow.

Anybody have experience with this? The bikes in question are a Ducati ST3S and a BMW k1200R sport.

This is a great board, thanks for any info you can give!

PR

The full titile of the document that you require is "European Certificate of Conformity". If the bikes were not originally supplied to a European country then they will be a different specification. You may save a bit of money on the purchase price, but you will spend loads more getting the bikes to European spec.

The conversion from 163 to 106 bhp for the BMW won't be cheap for one.

PR

Welcome to the forum....[:D]

Your bikes were built for the US market and therefore they do not conform to EU technical standards - power rating, emissions, radio suppressions, windscreen, lenses/reflectors, muffler, etc.  That means that you won't be able to obtain a certificate of conformity for either of them.

To be honest, what with shipping costs, import duties and taxes, plus the costs of converting the bikes to European spec, you'd be better off selling them back home then buying French once you've arrived here.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a US V-star which will be arriving in France in a couple of weeks.  I have just imported my car (UK) and asked the prefecture what to do about the bike.  The say to take it to the DRIRE for inspection and a certificate (not a c of c but their equivalent). I'll let you know if I am successful.  Fingers crossed!  A number of bikers seem to just advise selling your bike and buying a French one, they obviously have more time/money and do not become attached to their bikes!  In addition to which I can only find Suzuki dealler within a 50 mile radius anyway!  I'll know it could be the luck of the drawer as to whether my or your bikes are OK but it may give you a glimse of hope if I manage it!

Off at a tangent I'm afraid but an important point I think as you are coming from the US and advance apologies if you are already aware of this, sadly not all your fellow countrymen seem to be [;-)]

If you are not from one of the following states, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida and Kentucky, you won't be riding or driving anything after the first year until you have passed a French driving test.

More on the US Embassy site.

Bon chance.

One other idea.

Last year one of the bikers (Sunday Driver?) sold their bike which they'd imported from the UK for very nearly the price they'd paid four years earlier.

Why not look on some UK websites and see if it would be feasible to sell your bikes in the US and then buy again from the UK when you get here. The import process will then be relatively painless.

Of course this doesn't help with any emotional attachment you may have to your present bikes.

Archived