Complete France Forum

Cross border motoring fines

AnOther

A recent proposal from the mandarins in Brussels.

http://www.eubusiness.com/Transport/road-safety-eu.01/

So it seems that at this juncture it is just proposal with a view to implementation within 2 years.

Crucially it only addresses financial penalties and specifically EXCLUDES the award (or deduction) of penalty points or licence withdrawl.

Fundamentally, as it will affect us in France, it's purpose is to stop Brits on UK licences getting away with offences for which a French licence holder would likely be more severely punished, to which I say "bring it on" [:D]

The article mentions it will bring to an end 'the unequal treatment' of different groups of road users. 

Good move - agree 100% - all and everyone should be treated equally...

Now then, isn't there some other issue where people from different member states of the union are treated very differently in different member states?

Now then, what was that?    

Ernie wrote" Fundamentally, as it will affect us in France, it's purpose is to stop Brits on UK licences getting away with offences for which a French licence holder would likely be more severely punished, to which I say "bring it on" Big Smile [:D]

Where does this idea of unequal treatment come from?  If a Brit living in France with a UK license gets done in their French registered car the penalty is exactly the same as for a Brit or Frenchman with a French license. 

If you means Brits on holiday that is a completely different issue and the same applies to the Dutch and Germans who I would venture to say drive at excessive speeds on French roads far more often than any Brits do.

Umm, as I said - "Good move - agree 100% - all and everyone should be treated equally".

The clue as to what I was referring to is in my cartoons - healthcare. Different people in different member states are treated differently. For example, French people living in the UK only have to prove they are residents and they get free healthcare. And, as we all know, that is not the case in France...

For minor motoring infractions attracting 1 point a UK licence holder is very unlikely to be forced to exchange their licence for the point to be added whereas a French licence holder will receive it automaticallly, hence "getting away with offences for which a French licence holder would likely be more severely punished" ?

We'll leave out of the discussion the fact that many driving illegally on UK plates are also less likely to be caught in the first place, let alone punished, therefore effectively being advantaged by breaking the law !

Yes I agree about the UK plated cars but that aside the punishment is exactly the same in fines and points for French and UK license holders for minor offences.  The failing is that the French do not normally chase up these odd points,  and this legislation will not change that for French residents with UK licenses.  What it will do is catch offenders who don't live in France (officially) and in theory highlight to the DVLA UK plated cars that are supposedly SORN'd

Archived