Complete France Forum

Importing a car from anothe European Country (not UK)

powerdesal

Has anyone any experience of buying a new car tax free in another European country (say Denmark) and then importing to France, paying the import duty of course.

Is it viable, is there any saving?

I have read recently that Denmark have an extreme level of car import tax, a figure of 180% was quoted which meant that manufacturers hold the pre-tax price as low as possible when selling there. The same article actually said that Finland is even more heavily taxed but thats a bit far to go.

What you propose is fine in theory but in practise unlikely to come off.  As I understand it (from a Danish work colleague) is that dealers will NOT sell to anyone without a Danish address (and therefore has to pay the high tax).  Yes I know this is against EU law, buying a car (for export) should be no different from buying a packet of crisps and if you find a way around it I would be most interested.  I assume the car companies have a lot of clout and the Danish government has no reason to pursue the EU law.

My Danish colleague bouoght her last car in Luxembourg as overall it worked out a better deal.

Archived