Complete France Forum

Compulsory registration of UK vehicle used in France - what period?

bonjour!

Bonjour!

A recent post here indicates that a private car in France may, as far as French law is concerned, remain UK-registered provided it returns to the UK within SIX MONTHS of arriving in France.

Could somebody please kindly point me to a government website clarifying whether this was indeed the case in 2007, and what the situation is today? Even if the text is in French

The FAQ here indicates just ONE MONTH http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/684121/ShowPost.aspx

I'm terribly confused

Merci!

How very vexing for you.

Hello, bonjour, and welcome to the forum.  A couple of things... you might want to remove the exclamation mark from the end of your username, as it makes it very difficult for people to quote you posts otherwise (unless, of course you would rather that people didn't quote your posts).  The other thing is a question, if you don't mind me being nosey, why do you need to know what the situation was regarding the law in 2007?

Is it your own car you are thinking of re-registering?

It depends on whether you are French resident or just visiting.

If just visiting you are allowed to use your UK registered car for up to 6 months in a 12 month period in any other EU country.(provided it is legally insured road tax and MOT if required). It must then return to the UK .

If you are a resident of France ie you stay in France full time then you only have 1 month to reregister it onto French plates.

Archived