Complete France Forum

Licence to tow caravan

paradis

Having changed our UK licences to French ones, we note that under section E the licence to tow a caravan lasts for only 2 years. Our Marie advised us that we need an appointment with a specially registered doctor to extend this. Anyone know what this appointment consists of? Medical? Chat? Questions etc and then does the doctor just give his authority or does the licence have to be returned and updated? Do you have to pay for the consultation and is it partly refundable via CPAM and do you have to pay for any changes/updates to the licence?  Lots of questions but someone out there must have gone through this system.  We don't actually have a caravan but may consider one in the future!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hi paradis

The list of approved doctors should be obtainable from the Prefecture.  This will be a formal medical, blood pressure, eyesight etc, costs 24.50€ (if I remember correctly) and is not re-imbursed by the CPAM.

You will then return your licence for it to be updated, and it is valid for 5 years.  At the end of the five years, you can either go through the same process again or let it lapse.  If you let it lapse and then want to re-instate this category, go for another medical, send of the licence, and hey presto, another five years validity.

The changes to the licence don't cost anything in Hérault.

Hope this helps[:D]

Five years may not be quite right. OH and I have just had this medical. I was told I would need another medical in 5 years, OH told 2 years. Me 55 at present and he is 63. Could be milestone ages rather than lasting for a set period...

[quote user="Nell"]Five years may not be quite right. OH and I have just had this medical. I was told I would need another medical in 5 years, OH told 2 years. Me 55 at present and he is 63. Could be milestone ages rather than lasting for a set period...[/quote]

• 5 ans, pour toute personne âgée de moins de 60 ans, 

• 2 ans, entre 60 et 76 ans, 

• 1 an, à partir de 76 ans.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]You only need a permis E if the combination of car and caravan exceeds 3500kgs[/quote]

Or if the PTAC of the Caravan exceeds the PV of the towing vehicle.

PTAC maximum loaded weight

PV weight of vehicle without passengers or load

DVLA in UK will not change address to French address and as we no longer live in UK as far as we were concerned the address was incorrect.  Also a French driving licence is valid for ever unlike UK licences which are only valid until you are 70.  There is no cost to change the licence apart from getting a photo and paying the postage for the licence to be returned.

I'll need to change to a French licence this year. UK photo licences expire after 10 years, and mine was one of the first ones issued in 1998; they are not renewable for non-UK residents. We have a small caravan, and as already pointed out if you don't exceed the weight limits you can tow on the standard category without having to take the medical for the additional category. That's what I intend to do.

Sid

Archived