Complete France Forum

Scrapped Car - Proof Required

Panda

Last year a dear old car we had gave up living on a long journey whilst OH was at the wheel.  He called the insurance company who kindly sent a garge out to recover him etc..  The car was then inspected and all decided it was passed help.  OH can't speak a great deal of french and so between the insurance company and the garage they sorted out the necesary, having the vehicle towed to a scrap yard, marking the carte gris and sending it off to where ever it has to go.  They sent OH home in a taxi , 4 hours later he turns up, that was the end of it.

Today, almost a year to the day the insurance renewal turns with the old car still listed.  I ring the insurance company and tell them it was scrapped, you did it I say, you paid for it even, you sent OH home in a cab, etc.etc.  They say they can't take the insurance off unless I can send them proof it was scrapped... 

So anyone know where can I get it from??  I don't even know which garage it was, it was 4 hours from home and I've moved since then so any paperwork issued could be anywhere!

There is a document which you should have given to the scrapyard and to the insurers, which you get from the prefecture. It's a declaration that the car belongs to you and no one else has a claim on it. But as it's so long ago and you no longer have the carte grise it's probably too late now.

If you can't get the c.g. back, I would write a letter and send registered post to the insurers saying that the car was scrapped such and such a date. Get someone to help you with the french and keep a copy.

Archived