Complete France Forum

Declaring speeding fines to insurance companies

Mr Coeur de Lion

Got a speeding fine last winter, nothing serious, only 10k's over the limit. Sent off payment but never bothered with changing my licence to French in order for them to put the measly point on it, so as far as I'm concerned I have a clean licence.

My insurance is coming up for renewal. Do I need to inform them of this minor indiscretion?

Well, I would say yes.

Non disclosure would probably result in the insurance being null and void - I presume that French companies are like UK and any excuse not to pay. Probably would not be found out if it involved a simple bump. However, if you were taken to court due to the crash and it came out in court then the insurance company would know and leave you high and dry.

Paul

"Sent off payment but never bothered with changing my licence to French in order for them to put the measly point on it"

As most on here will already know, that is not your decision to make, they tell you if you have to change your license or not.  At the moment in 99% of cases involving single points they do not bother to enforce a change but may when you get a few more.

On the original point, unlike in England,  you do not have to notify French insurance conpanies well Groupama and CA anyway, of speeding fines etc only accidents.  If you lose your license through having no points or by having it confiscated for a serious offence you cannot drive anyway!!

[quote user="Bugbear"]

10 k over the limit [:-))], thats a hanging offence for some on here...................[:)]

As regards your question I would say NO, its not required for that very minor misdemeanor.

[/quote]

I was doing 100kms in a 90kms zone (hire car, didn't realise I was going that fast until I got flashed. Had only just set out on my journey too).

I'd better tell them when I renew in a couple of weeks time, just to be sure.

As far as I remember, the question of minor offences speeding/parking are not asked for on the application form. just the more serious things like drunken driving and accidents. I did not mention my one minor speeding offence on my last renewal.

Certainly Axa don't seem to be overly exercised by minor infractions. My dear wife lost a couple of points (not that I EVER mention it in her hearing), dutifully phoned them up to confess and they said something along the lines of  "that's nice, but we don't care."

Reading the small print I discovered that all they really did seem to care about was whether anyone had lost their licence in the past X years.

Still, since there seems to be a range of experience on this topic I think you're being wise 'fessing up just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
I mentioned my points as an afterthought when renewing and got toldyes, they DID need to know, and they would have to recalculate my premium. Came back 5 minutes later with a new quote that was CHEAPER than the one I had received through the post![8-)]

Archived