Complete France Forum

Triangle and Hi Viz vest: Reminder

Clair

Motorists: vest and triangle mandatory from 1 October

Sanctions will be applied from 1 October 2008 against motorists whose vehicle is not equipped with a high visibility safety vest and warning triangle.

From that date, motorists who do not comply with these new obligations will be liable to a class-4 fine (€135 fixed penalty, reduced to €90 if paid within 15 days of issue).

The high visibility safety vest must be worn by a driver before he exits a vehicle immobilised on or by  the roadside in response to an emergency.

It must include the "CE" mark and a reference to one of two standards: "EN 471" or "EN 1150".

Upon leaving the vehicle, the driver must place a warning triangle on the roadside at a distance of at least 30 meters from his vehicle or from the obstacle.

The marking "E 27 R" certifies the conformity of the triangle with existing standards.

The wearing a high visibility safety vest also becomes mandatory from 1 October 2008 for every cycle rider and passenger, when out of town at night (or during the day, when visibility is insufficient).

Any cycle rider or passenger not wearing a high visibility safety vest after that date will be liable to a class-2 fine (€35 fixed penalty, reduced to €22 if paid within 15 days of issue).

Vests and triangles are available in the automotive accessories shelves

of supermarkets, from automotive suppliers, in service stations, etc...

http://www.service-public.fr/actualites/00905.html?xtor=EPR-140

[quote user="Clair"]Upon leaving the vehicle, the driver must place a warning triangle on the roadside at a distance of at least 30 meters from his vehicle or from the obstacle.

[/quote]

Does the regulation say whether it has to be placed behind the vehicle, or in front of it?

This is not a trivial question.  My car broke down recently, in the dark, on a twisty, hilly piece of road, not very wide, and I realized that to be reasonably safe I needed a warning both uphill and downhill.  By sheer good luck I had two triangles in the car.  But it made me realize - for the first time - that you really need two, whatever the law says.  If I had only had one, I honestly wouldn't have known where to put it to minimize the risk. 

Off the top of my head, the function of the triangle is to warn traffic on the driving side of the road, not the oncoming traffic.

If the car is stopped just beyond a bend or over the top of a hill, the triangle should be placed before the bend or the top of the hill.

Hopefully, SD will have the relevant section of the Code de la Route at his fingertips...[:)]

Do cyclists also have to have a bell on their bikes too ? If so Clair it would be a nice change [6]???

It seems to be very much the fashon to have a gillet on the back of the seat now-a-dayz. Ours are in the door pockets, one for the driver and one for the front passenger even if it's not the law...

[quote user="Clair"]Hopefully, SD will have the relevant section of the Code de la Route at his fingertips...[:)]

[/quote]

No doubt.  But the primary objective is to prevent an accident, not to comply with a rule.  When I had my little breakdown the car was visible from behind for maybe 200 metres, but the top of a hill was just in front of it - and it was a narrow road - so the need for a warning was much greater ahead than behind.

[quote]Off the top of my head, the function of the triangle is to warn traffic on the driving side of the road...[/quote]Anybody passing my car was forced to use the non-driving side, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Anyway, as I said, I now carry two of them all the time.

Code de la route Art R416-19:

Lorsqu'un véhicule immobilisé sur la chaussée constitue un danger pour la circulation, notamment à proximité des intersections de routes, des virages, des sommets de côtes, des passages à niveau et en cas de visibilité insuffisante, ou lorsque tout ou partie de son chargement tombe sur la chaussée sans pouvoir être immédiatement relevé, le conducteur doit assurer la présignalisation de l'obstacle en faisant usage de ses feux de détresse et d'un triangle de présignalisation.

As you will see, there is no specific mention of where to place the triangle.  If the immediate risk is to traffic coming the other way, then that's who you need to warn in the first instance.

If the vehicle has retained its battery power, then you've potentially got flashing hazard warning lights, a triangle up the road and a big bright dayglow blob with it's head buried under the bonnet.....[;-)]

Archived