Complete France Forum

Re Regisering a car

stdenis9

This may well have been covered before I have tried the search but cant find an answer to my particular problem.

I am looking at buying a left hand drive Mercedes ML 350 it is a left hand drive. It was 1st registered in the US in Jan 04. It was then registered in the UK in Nov 04 and has been registered in the UK since.

As far as I know there is no CoC with it. Can anyone tell me how easy it will be or if it will be possible to re-register in France.

StDenis9

There will never be a European certificate of conformity supplied with a car that was meant for the US market as the US is not part of Europe. I believe it is possible to register it in France but be ready with your check (US spelling) book as there can be many things that will need changing.

Certificates of conformity refer to the vehicle specification as at the date it left the factory.  As Bob says, the one you're thinking of buying was originally produced as a US spec export vehicle, therefore it will have been built to conform with US technical standards rather than European/French standards.  You'd need to apply to Mercedes Benz France for a certificate of partial conformity then submit the vehicle to your local DRIRE for a single vehicle approval inspection.  This is basically same process as would have occurred when the vehicle was imported into the UK.

Having been successfully imported into the UK, the key components such as glass, lenses, seatbelts, etc will have been changed for E-marked items but you may well have to put the car through some expensive emissions tests, etc. 

Before committing to the purchase, I'd be inclined to contact MB France in the first instance and proceed from there.

Thank you for your reply. The car as you can see from my post was imported to the uk after only 11 months. I have a copy of the V5 and have carried some checks out on the car. I can find nowhere that its says it was a US car only from what the guy who is selling it has told me.

The car has done very little mileage (the dash etc is in KM which I thought strange for a US car?) so hopefully with the age etc it should pass emission tests.

Would I just go into a Mercedes dealer in France?

StDenis9

Archived