Complete France Forum

Carte Gris weights

dave21478

Hi,

I have just got hold of another wee van. Tomorrows job was to fit a towbar, but I might have found a problem. There is a sticker on the van which gives the PV, PTAC and PTR. (empty weight, max laden weight and max train weight).

Now, going by this sticker, it can tow a trailer up to 700kgs or so iirc, which is fine, but looking at the Carte Gris, the section for train weight is blank. Does this mean I am not allowed to tow anything with it?

Its a small van with a refrigerated case on the back. I also have the basic normal van version. Although they are a few years apart, the specs are all the same. The normal van has the train weight marked on its carte gris, but this fridge van has nothing.

Thanks.

If there is no PTRA on the carte grise, then you cannot tow anything with the van.

I had the same problem with my camping car - Mercedes Benz forgot to include it on the original certificate of conformity so it didn't get included on my carte grise.  The omission was picked up on my next CT inspection when the tester noted my towbar and told me I couldn't tow anything (I've an under 500kg motorbike trailer) without a PTRA on the carte grise. 

To get the carte grise amended, I had to write to MB to ask for a new CoC, but they p!ssed me about by asking for a CoC for the towbar (it was an original factory fitting, for God's sake) and in the end, I sweethearted my local MB Truck dealer to issue an attestation confirming the PTRA which the prefecture accepted. 

Still cost me 36€ to have the carte grise amended, though.... [:@]

I suggest you contact your nearest van concessionnaire and see if they'll do the same for you.

Thanks for the reply.

I have had the 2 vans papers side by side, and I have just noticed the "type" is different, I assume due to one having the fridge case as a factory modification. Im willing to bet that getting the attestation for train weight is either impossible for the new vans type, or just more hassle than its worth.

This calls for a minor re-think of my plans.

Hmm, just found a Certificate of Conformity in amongst all the papers I got with it, issued by the company that did the fridge conversion from new. It is marked with the PTRA, so I suppose I just need to go back to the Prefecture and get the Carte Gris changed.

Archived