Complete France Forum

Problem with car

tuppence

As a complete novice with relation to why cars don't do what I want them to do, perhaps someone can answer a question (please!). MY car has an oil leak, possibly cylinder head gasket or camshaft seal (this is what a mechanic has told me.) But, yesterday I noticed a deceleration while in 2nd gear [:(] although once I was out of that gear it drove OK. Are the 2 problems linked in any way? Any would-be mechanics on this Forum could help a senior lady on this problem. and all answers gratefully received[:)].

tuppence

Hi ErnieY,

It seemed to manifest itself 2 or 3 times but once out of 2nd gear it didn't happen. When I accelerated it seemed to slow down, pressed the accelerator and then it went OK. No lights came on to alert me to anything sinister, thought it might be due to the oil problem. Haven't driven it today as I am worried it might get worse. However, I did drive home after this deceleration yesterday, 5 miles from when it happened with no problems at all. I agree very strange. It is under investigation by a local ex-pat mechanic, who is coming on Saturday[:D] to check the oil situation, but thanks for responding to my post. I am getting a bit twitchy over it, maybe overreacting as I go back to the UK on Monday for 5 days.

tuppence

So are you saying it was a one off and not repeatable ?

If so it could have been nothing more sinister than a bit of muck in the fuel which has now passed.

It's unlikely to be anything to do with your leak. As long as it is not severe and you keep an eye on your oil level you should be quite safe to drive.

Archived