Complete France Forum

Driving to the Algarve

sueyh

Hi there Suey [:)]

A friend of mine does this every year, and he takes the boat to Bilbao, Spain, he finds it easier, drives towards Madrid, and then takes the exit towards Salamanca, then it's direct south.  Good roads all the way.  IF you want to take the long way, you can do Calais to the Spanish border in a FULL day, swap driving because it's really, really tiring.  I did it a few times on my own, it sucks.  I would stay the French side, and do most of Spain in 1 day, 2 x 20 odd hour drives (depends how you drive).  I would drive down the side of Spain, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia, Almeria, Malaga, and then cross the border.  This is a long way round but it can be done.  I warn you the road from Almeria -> Malaga can be a nightmare because the motorway ends around Adra, it's a single track winding road, stuning, but be aware of Spanish drivers which sometimes have a deathwish! 

IF you can avoid it, don't do Calais.  Good luck with your plans

We've always started from this coast but I would recommend crossing into Spain at Biaritz and then Burgos, Madrid, Granada, Seville then over the bridge onto the Algarve. Not an especiaaly attractive route but fairly straightforward.

As glacier1 suggests you could try Burgos, Salamanca, Merida, Badajoz and then into Portugal and South via Evora. This is a much prettier route in my opinion but without so many dual carriageways.

As far as the Mediterranean route is concerned to make good time you would need to use the motorway which is toll all the way until Alicante. If you want to avoid the N340 after Almeria you should take the A92 motorway at Puerto Lumbreras and head for Granada, then straight on for Seville and follow the route given in paragraph 1.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived