Complete France Forum

Buying an old car and registering it

partout

Hi,

We want to buy an old car (1951) in the Gironde, that has a current Carte Gris Normale, and valid CT. We then want to register the car to our address in the Lot et Garonne, and then drive it back to the UK on the new registration plates..

Can we do the transfer of documents in the Gironde to our address in the Lot et garonne, or do we have to go to Agen to do this. Are the documents issued straight away.

This may sound odd, but we live in the UK, and my OH would like to purchase this old banger which  will be driven in the UK for a while and then take it back to France..

Many thanks

You need to think very carefully about this, because I'm afraid that if you register the car to your address in France, whilst your main residence is the UK, then you will not be allowed to drive this car in the UK unless you re-register it in the UK. It's the law. You would be able to drive the car anywhere in Europe EXCEPT the UK.

Regards

Pickles

hi

for a short trip back to the uk,  I would say you should not have a problem and I personally would not think twice about doing it.  The reality is its difficult to prove residency on way or another and it seems to me the law is intended to catch non uk citizens who bring their home registered vehicle with them and use them over a long period of time as they work in the uk.  If the uk didn't have a road fund licence and congestion changes perhaps it would not be an issue.  For longer stays I would not be happy to do it as your foreign reg might become an issue.  Always carry proof of your booked return ferry crossing in the car. 

[quote user="partout"]

Can we do the transfer of documents in the Gironde to our address in the Lot et garonne, or do we have to go to Agen to do this. Are the documents issued straight away.

[/quote]

Currently, you have to register a change of ownership through your departmental prefecture.  They will issue a new carte grise while you wait.

However, the new registration system for used cars comes into force on 15 June.  From that date, you may register a change of ownership through any prefecture and you will receive a provisional registration slip valid for one month showing your new 'for life' registration number.  Your definitive carte grise will be posted to you within a week.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]However, the new registration system for used cars comes into force on 15 June.  From that date, you may register a change of ownership through any prefecture and you will receive a provisional registration slip valid for one month showing your new 'for life' registration number.  Your definitive carte grise will be posted to you within a week.[/quote]

Now that IS interesting.  So the next car I buy, I won't have to go to Béziers, but will be able to go to Carcassonne.  Sheer joy to hear such news, woohoo[:-))]

You don't even have to go to Carcassonne in person - if the car comes with the latest format carte grise (with the detachable coupon) then you can register a change of ownership by post.  If you buy the car from from a dealer, then he can issue the provisional registration slip himself.  Nothing more to do.

French burocracy is your friend......[:D]

Archived