Complete France Forum

Change of plates on UK car

tuppence

Hi,

I have just "matriculated" my UK car so that I can get new plates fitted, (the plates will be the new type with the department no longer showing). I have notified the insurance company of the change but do I have to notify the Control Technique people as well? Went to a local garage to get plates made up and they said "Non, il n'est pas possible pour deux semaines" Apparently they have had to get a new machine, so I am going to try a cordonnier always assuming he doesn't need a new machine as well[6].

tuppence

You do not have to notify the CT people, whats on the Carte Grise is the important thing. The CT is also recorded against the VIN number not just the original reg number and it's validity is witnessed by the window sticker. The change will be picked up at the next CT.

As for the new plates you should fit these ASAP otherwise technically you are driving on false plates. Certainly you cannot afford to wait 'deux semaines', at least not if you want to drive it during that time.

You local garage might not have the new machine but there is no excuse for main agent garages not to, the change has hardly come as a surprise, so try one of them.

Archived