Complete France Forum

Basic trailer

I'm soon going to need a trailer. The payload will be a maximum of 250 Kg and most probably much less. The awkward thing will be the shape. I'll be transporting one of two or three boats, which could range from 2m to 5m long and up to 1m50 wide. Most of the candidates will be flat-bottomed, so can go straight on a simple platform but one of them will be a proper 'boat-shaped' clinker job, which will need rollers or suitable cradles, which I'm planning to bolt on when needed.

My present plan is to get a simple flat trailer with a platform about 2m50 x 1m50. I'm hoping that the drawbar (right word?) can be adjustable and I've seen boat trailers with their light boards mounted on adjustable length rails.

I know that trailers under 500Kg all-up don't need separate registration and presumably the regulations for them are a bit less demanding. Does my approach seem feasible?

One other question. At what weight should I look at a fully braked trailer? The only experience I have of this sort of thing was long ago using (briefly) a trailer with over-run braking.

I don't think there are any regulations for sub 500kg trailers but even if there are, judging by some of the contraptions you see tooling just about every day, they are very loosely interpreted and applied [:'(]

Brakes are required above 750kg but by that time you're into registration territory anyway.

Quite where you will find a suitable trailer I don't know, sounds like a DIY job.

Archived