Complete France Forum

trailer license plate

newbiee

I have a trailer which I use ocassionally to go to the dump etc.

Is it a legal requirement to have a 'proper' plate attached at a garage, or is it perfectly legal to print something out (in large clear text, nowt fancy), waterproof it and use that instead?

Many thanks

By law, your trailer must have a plate.

If the max carrying weight is < 500kg, the plate is the same as that of the vehicle the trailer is attached to.

(Above 500kg, it must have its own reg document and plates.)

http://www.easydroit.fr/code-de-la-route/les-vehicules/les-remorques.htm

http://sherrent.chez.com/remorque.html

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=fr#

You will frequently see sub-500kg PTAC trailers being hauled around wearing bits of cardboard onto which the owner has scrawled unintelligible combinations of letters and numbers, but fundamentally they are not legal. THEY, however, will be able to do this for 25 years without a problem. With MY luck, if I were to try this approach, I would be stopped before getting 100 m out of the gate. How lucky are you? To what extent to you want to run the risk of attracting attention?

On another French motoring site I came across, it did at least say that with sub-500kg trailers the (legally-conforming) reg plate could be attached by removable bolts or other fixings rather than the rivets that would be required on cars and over-500kg trailers.

Regards

Pickles

Friend  who borrowed my trailor was pulled by the gendarmes towing with a UK registered car but because the she had a laminated plate in the right colour, knocked up on an HP printer got away with it. However for the sake of € 6 at the hypermarket is it worth it?

I heard/read that licence plates have to be obtained from a key cutter type place and have to be attached with rivets, not screws, and are not that cheap.  As we have a box trailer and also a small open one, we'll have to get 2 for the car + one for each trailer!  Which hypermarkets? 

Most hypermarkets and some large supermarkets have a key cutting, shoe repair concession - they also do licence plates.  You can also order them from many garages.  They are not expensive - certainly less than paying a fine ....[:)]

Bernice

Trailer plates, unless the trailer needs it's own Carte Gris/AKA registration, then the plates can simply be screwed or bolted on. The only place I have ever found plates expensive in France are the key cutters immediately opposite the office where you reregister your car. Otherwise any medium sized supermarket with a Misterminute or other Key Cutters will knock them up while you go shopping.  

Reckon around €20-€25 a pair for plates.

Riveting is only obligatory for cars/trailers with their own Carte Grise and hence reg number but for a sub 500kg trailer you can fix your plate on with anything which you think/hope will hold it in place [:)]

Archived