Complete France Forum

Just Wondering

Quillan

Some guests have just departed and they had a nice new BMW 52? but it was on German plates. I had, incorrectly as it happens, assumed they had travelled from Germany. They got the car from Toulouse airport. I seem to remember a few years back somebody else turning up in a none French number plated hire car (can't remember which country it was registered in) yet they also picked it up from within France. I was just wondering what the rules are on this, can the car stay for only a limited time? Are hire cars treated differently with regards to length of stay? How does the insurance work in comparison to French cars? It's not important but I thought I would ask out of curiosity.

A couple of years back, I picked up a hire car from Toulouse and it was a Spanish registered car and all the handbooks etc were in Spanish.

I assumed that it had been a one-way rental from its base in Spain to the depot in Toulouse and was being used locally till it could be returned.

Foreign registered hire cars are exempt from local taxation (for that, read registration) in the same way as any other vehicle - maximum six months in any twelve month period.  Given that a typical fleet churn won't normally exceed six months, there is unlikely to be an issue there.

The hire companies operate fleet insurance policies which provide short term cover for their vehicles whilst they are 'in fleet'. Whether they are insured in their country of registration or in their country of operation will be determined by their insurance contracts.

Some time ago we arranged to hire a car from Barcelona airport to drive to our French holiday destination,quote included surcharge for collection from one airport delivery to another, in a different country. As we collected the car the lovely Avis lady told us the surcharge had been removed as they had a french car to go back to France, did we mind ??!!

Archived