Complete France Forum

new car registration

Wilko

Hi

I've looked briefly for an answer in the search facility but to no avail.

If I buy a new car outside France, but within Europe, via my SARL I can avoid all taxes in the country of purchase. What do I need to present to the french authorities to then register it here and what would I have to pay and does anyone see any particular problems. I also assume that I can opt to pay the TVA in the country of purchase, which would be sensible if their TVA rate was less than 19.6%, and there would be no further TVA to pay here..........correct ?

Thanks for any help on this.

wilko

New cars acquired elsewhere within the EU and imported into France are subject to French TVA, so they should be supplied tax free in the country of purchase.  You pay the TVA at your local centre des impots on production of the supplier's invoice and foreign registration document.  They will then issue a fiscal certificate which is one of the obligatory documents required for registration.

SD Thanks for that but the point I was trying to make is if i pay the TVA in eg the UK Iwould pay 17.5% as opposed to 19.6%................so do I have the choice as to where I pay the TVA ?

Rgds Wilko

Under EU tax rules, VAT on new cars is payable in your country of residence - in your case, that's France.   

You are only liable to pay VAT once, so to avoid being charged VAT in the country of purchase as well, you need to have the vehicle supplied tax free for export. 

If you don't, then you'll pay 17.5% VAT in the UK, then pay 19,6% TVA in France, leaving you having to reclaim the UK VAT from HMRC. 

Archived