Complete France Forum

Car Hire Deposits

Gardian

Our son wants to tour Northern France for a week prior to coming on down here to the South by train for the rest of his holiday.

The problem is that he doesn't have a credit card (no bad thing in many ways!), but this seems to make him persona non grata with the hire car companies. Now I do understand the reasons for this (recovery of damage / theft costs etc) and am perfectly happy to make the booking on my cr card, but ................ the major companies appear to require the person making the booking and whose cr card it is, to be the named driver and to present that card when the car is collected. 

So, you end up in a maddening circle. What's more, you can't call their Call centre from France (Hertz was OK, but no solution to the basic problem) and an email to Avis produced a 'can't send' error message. I'm waiting for Holiday Autos to respond to an email, but their t & c's seem to confirm the need for a cr card deposit on collection.

Grrrrrr!!   The only way round it that I can think of seems to be for me to take a roundtrip to Lille and be present on collection Any bright ideas anybody?

Many (MANY) years ago, in a similar situation, but in the UK, I had to deposit cash amounting to some huge sum before Hertz would let me take away their precious Vauxhall Cavalier. These days there would also be an issue of how any fines would be recuperated.

Regards

Pickles

Thanks Pickles.

Had a reply from Holiday Autos saying that you have to have a cr card at collection. I just don't understand why my card (well before the date of rental, so plenty of time for authorisation, etc) won't do.

But .............. I probably haven't spotted the scam that some people get up to.   Hmmmmm.

Oh well, I always fancied a few hours in Lille on an early-July Saturday!!!  Much, much better than lazing round the pool.

Archived