Complete France Forum

CT

It sounds like you intend to get the garage which services the car to do the CT also.

If this is so then although it may be a convenience it would be worth asking if they are going to do it for the cost of the CT alone and not charge you a premium. A freshly serviced 4 year old car should have no problem in passing the CT so why waste money paying someone just to drive it to the CT station and back ?

Yes, seeing as garages do not perform CT tests like they do in UK, they are done at dedicated test centres that do no repairs or service work, then asking a garage to CT your car for you is very likly to result in them charging you the CT test fee, plus their hourly labour rate while they wait for the test to be carried out.

Some friends of mine made this mistake a while back and found their CT bill to be enormous. The nearest centre is 35 minutes drive away, so they found that they had been charged 2 hours labour by the garage for travelling time and waiting during the test, the car failed, so the garage did the repairs, charging their normal rate, then another 2 hours labour on top for the re-test, plus the retest fee.

They saw them coming. [;-)]

We are perfectly happy to ask our local garage (a village Renault dealer) to deal with the CT. They do a pre-test inspection, with the vidange, and the CT station is in my opinion more likely to pass something that has been through a garage. No extra fees are charged by them.

Unless the CT station is adjacent to the garage I do not see how the garage can avoid charging for the time. Having watched 3 CTs on the Pug they test dampers, emissions and brakes on a rolling road. Inspect the body for corrosion and check lights. I cannot see they do anything where they could pass a car from a garage but fail if you do your own servicing.

[quote user="Will"]

They saw them coming. [;-)]

[/quote]

Absolutely. They instructed the garage to do "whatever is needed" to get their vehicle CT`d and registered here(originally German registred). The garage charged them for the CT as I mentioned, and also charged them thier normal hourly labour rate while they sent someone to the city to fetch the all the relevant documentation for registering it. I believe they did a couple of trips to get all the right papers.

The price they paid to register their crusty old Hanomag van here could have bought them quite a nice modern van.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry haven't been on for a little while.

I was unaware that most of the time you have to go to a dedicated centre. What a pain.

I was hoping to get it all done at the Peugeot garage I bought my car new from.

Would be a lot simpler imo. But this is France I guess.

My local Peugeot dealer has just sent me a very nice letter reminding me that the first CT on my Pug is due on 1 August.  They've asked me to contact them to arrange a free pre-CT inspection and as I need an annual service as well, I've no doubt they'll offer to run it down the road to the testing station afterwards as part of that service.

I've also received a letter from Dekra with a similar reminder and an offer of 10% off my first test fee.

And........stopped off at MacDonalds the other night on the way back from visiting Mrs Sunday in hospital at Angers.  Whilst idling glancing at the till receipt, I noticed that on the reverse was a coupon offering me 6€ discount from my local CT station.

As you say, this is France......[;-)]

Or what fairly wealthy French friend of mine does, nothing !

He has a splendid collection of fine classic automobiles, 6 or so that I know of, including a Facel Vega, an XK120, and a Healey 3000, and he doesn't CT any of them, cheaper to pay the €90 fine if he gets stopped he says which he's told me has yet to happen. His insurance company are 100% aware of this.

I couldn't possibly countenance such a course of action of course [Www]

Archived