Complete France Forum

CAR INSURANCE FOR TEMPORARY ADDRESS IN FRANCE?

Tobe

Hello,

I have a question about French car insurance that I could really use some help on.

I've scoured the forum looking for entries with a similar thread, but could find nothing about address registration.

I've bullet pointed some facts to make things easier to read.

- I'll be moving to France from Holland in October (Finistere). I'm a Brit, but I've lived in Holland for 20 years, so British insurance doesn't come into this. Dutch insurance doesn't either. 

- I'm intending to stay in France and make a go of it.

- My driving license has been converted from a UK one to one of the EU plastic ones (Dutch).

- I'll be staying with friends while looking for a place to live / buy. They have given permission for me to use their address on a temporary basis, but I won't be able to "prove" that I live there (no bills or contracts in my name at that address, etc.) The best they could do would be to write a letter in English stating that I am staying at their place temporarily.

- I would ideally like to have a van immediately as I will need to get around.

Options will be :

- buy a van in Holland and import it. Maximum insurance time allowed during import process: 1 month.

- buy a van in France and get insured there immediately.

- As France is famous for its' paperwork fetish, I am beginning to doubt if I will get very far with a temporary address. Does anybody have experience of this?

Are the various bodies "proof of address" addicted ( like everywhere these days )?

- Is it possible to get French insurance on a French car (bought in France) if I only have a temporary home address? If so, who provides this kind of insurance?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, Tobe.

The property owner should provide you with une déclaration d'hébergement, where the owner certifies on oath that you are residing at his home

This letter on oath acts as a proof  of accommodation for anyone who does not have any proof of address (utility or tax bills.

..) to his name at the property where he is residing.

To be valid, the certificate must be accompanied by a photocopy of

the owner's identity card or passport, as well as one or more (as appropriate) recent

proof of residence (utility or tax bills) in his name.

Hello Clair,

thanks for your quick and clear response. It's very good news indeed.

Would this letter, accompanied by the documents you list, be something that the majority of bodies would instantly recognise as a valid document?

Is the déclaration d'hébergement a common document in France?

Or is it one of those things where the person-behind-the-desk may dismiss it as invalid or suspicious?

What I mean to say is, should I mentally prepare myself for a difficult time if I want to use this sort of document?

Best, Tobe.

When I first started here in France, I lacked the necessary documents for proof of address so used one of these. The person I was lodging with wrote a hand-written letter (in French) - just a few lines that said they confirmed I was lodged at their address. It was dated and signed, and they gave me photocopies of their identity card (both sides) and a recent utility bill in their name.

I used these letters for pretty much everything - registering cars, opening bank accounts etc and nobody even showed a flicker of doubt about accepting it.

[quote user="Tobe"]
Would this letter, accompanied by the documents you list, be something that the majority of bodies would instantly recognise as a valid document?
Is the déclaration d'hébergement a common document in France?
Or is it one of those things where the person-behind-the-desk may dismiss it as invalid or suspicious?
What I mean to say is, should I mentally prepare myself for a difficult time if I want to use this sort of document?

[/quote]

The déclaration d'hébergement is used by the thousands of teenagers still living with their parents when they get their first car or motorcycle. 

Everybody knows what it is....[;-)]

Archived