Complete France Forum

D999 From A75 (La Cavalenne) to Sauve, Gard.

Matello

Hi,

I am driving to the south of France this summer and will be going over the Milau bridge.

Shortly after this I plan to come off the A75 and head east to Sauve on the D999.

Looking at the roadmap there seem to be a lot of 'squiggles' in the road which I guess means some pretty hilly areas.

What I want to know is if anyone has done this route or has knowledge of it, from the A75 to Sauve or round abouts and how long I need to allow myself for this part of the journey.

Thanks

Matello

Matello ............

Not driven that route myself, but as you've guessed, squiggles = slow!!

A friend did drive to us once and travelled Clermont l'Herault - Gignac - Ganges - Ales & it took him ages. 

The problem you've got is that the alternatives aren't much better.  If you go all the way down to the A9, it's probably twice the mileage. Coming off near Clermont and then direct to Montpellier is fine, but the latter is hell at the best of times (unless you really know your way around).

If it was me, I'd stick with your proposed route.  It must be 100kms, so (seriously) allow 3 hrs and just enjoy the drive.  Enjoy the trip.

I know that route, at least as far as Ganges. It's not at all difficult, and the scenery is very pleasant.

Take exit 48 from the A75 and follow D7 and then D999.

Distance junction 48-Sauve is 83 kms (just over 50 miles). It should take around 1 hour 30 mins, but obviously depends on the traffic.

Have a good trip.

I dont know that part of the road, but the 999 from albi to millau although squiggly, is a wide, fast-flowing road for most of its length. There are a hell of a lot of crawler lane sections too for the hilly bits so you are unlikely to be held up much. I would assume that its a similar story from the other side of Millau.

Thanks Gardian. I feared it might be as much as 3 hours.

I had looked at the A9 route and decided that it was too long.

CJL,

Thanks for the tip about Jcn 48. I hadn't noticed that but it looks quite a bit shorter (less squiggly) than coming off the junction before.

If it takes me 1 hour 30 minutes I'll be very pleased.

Thanks all for your replies.

Matello

Archived