Complete France Forum

Windscreen postioning for new, mini, Sanef Liber-T

westham

Hi all, thanks to the advice here I have signed up to the Liber-T telepeage device which came through in just 4-days. I notice that the new mini-device has a windscreen mount that looks fairly permanent once you affix it though and was wondering if you have to use this method to display it?

Can anyone confirm that all you have to do is to have the device positioned near the windscreen as I do not want to affix the mount for such temporary use (will just use it for holidays)?

Either that or can you wave it around like the Dart Tag?

Many thanks

Mike

Thanks Jim,

Was just concerned on two counts - 1. is this a bit of a security risk (much the same as having a sat nav mount affixed to your windscreen) and 2. the fact that I only use it on occasion.

Good to know waving should be OK!

Thanks, Mike

[quote user="westham"]Thanks Jim,

1. is this a bit of a security risk (much the same as having a sat nav mount affixed to your windscreen)
Thanks, Mike
[/quote]

Not much of a security risk.  The doofer has limited use (French motorways) limited value, and is easily deactivated, making any unauthorised usage easy to detect.

As evidence, when my car was broken in to, they did not take the doofer, they did take the spare wheel!  I would just treat the doofer like any other item left in the car.  Take it out of the holder and store in the dashboard.

Waving it around can somethimes be a bit hit and miss however - especially if the windscreen is a treated one to reduce heat transfer.

• 4 weeks later...

I received my new shape mini-tag from Sanef last Wednesday.  First opportunity to use it on Friday.

Not a promising start.  Got to the first peage station from Calais, drove to the reserved "t" lane - no joy.  Detached it from windscreen mount, tried waving it.  Didn't work.  Lots of scoffing French drivers making rude remarks as I reversed out ignominiously.  Took a manual ticket, handed it in at the pay station at Junction 25 on the A16.  However, the device then emitted an ear-splitting beep, almost as if it had decided to come to life.  Had a chat with the pay station operator (it was a quiet day).  His friendly advice is below.

After that, it was plain sailing all the way.  Driving down towards La Rochelle on Saturday, I had a French driver actually jump out of his car and try to wave me away from the "t" lane on my approach.  When the thing beeped and the gate opened, he was a little dumbfounded.  An excellent result.  The best entertainment is watching for the expressions of the locals expecting the idiot Brit driver to get trapped...and then the look of surprise when I drive away.  However, not so good is watching tagless fellow Brits follow you into the lane and then get trapped...

Useful advice from the ticket booth guy:

1.  Do not try to wave the tag around.  It has to be in a fixed position.  The old tags could be waved, but apparently the new mini-tags are more uni-directional.  They will also not work if left on the dashboard.

2.  Left side of the windscreen directly behind the rear-view mirror is the best place for mounting.  If your car has the dotted pattern indicating the clear, wire-free area, place the mount there.

3.  The mount can be detached and moved once it has been put in place.  A flathead screwdriver will help to prise it away from the windscreen, but be careful.

Archived