Complete France Forum

new french registration plates....what do they mean in reality?

glacier1

Hi there,

This might be a simple question for some of you, I have had new plates stuck on my jeep starting with AA-3 numbers-2 letters think, anyway, they told me that this number plate stays with the vehicle for life.  If that is the case, how does it effect the sale of the vehicle.  For example, if tomorrow I sell the vehicle, what does the other person have to do?  If he does not change plates it's a simple name change isn't it?  Does it also mean that the price of the carte grise does not have to be incured by the buyer?  I might be naive here, but if we don't have to completelly change the carte grise inc plate, only ownership details, the person should not have to pay extra for the carte grise?

Anybody know the answer to this?  I'm scratching my head here.  Thanks a lot in advance!

David [:D]

• 2 months later...
This new system has been running for a few months now and initially all the registrations I saw were AA-NNN-XX, then AB-NNN-XX and now a few AC-NNN-XX.  I assume that the second letter changes on the 15th of the month and the first letter annually.  Can anyone confirm this.

Ta;

I think the registrations are just allocated as per demand, nationally now, instead of by 'département'.  So, once all the AA XXX XXs had run out they went on to AB XXX XX and so on.  Nothing complicated and nothing to indicate when or where the vehicle was registered (the chosen 'département' number does not necessarily correspond to the owner's address as they can choose whichever one they like).

CBC

[quote user="glacier1"]For example, if tomorrow I sell the vehicle, what does the other person have to do?  If he does not change plates it's a simple name change isn't it?  Does it also mean that the price of the carte grise does not have to be incured by the buyer?  I might be naive here, but if we don't have to completelly change the carte grise inc plate, only ownership details, the person should not have to pay extra for the carte grise?[/quote]I don't quite understand the question.  The carte grise shows the name of the registered owner.  If you sell the car, it will have a new owner, so it will need a new carte grise.

The only difference I can see is that the new-style plates will not need to be changed, either when there's a change of ownership, or when the existing owner moves to another département.

Thank you, CBC65.

That makes sense.  If my maths are correct each of AA etc AB etc and AC etc, would offer up to 675,324 registrations.  I read somewhere that in July 185,000 new cars were registered in France so if re-registrations outnumber new registrations by 2 and a bit to one that would tie up.

Another mystery solved.

Archived