Complete France Forum

Bureau Veritas

Benjamin

I'm looking to import a second hand motor home from another EU country. I've collected the list of documents from the Prefecture and spoken with a very knowledgeable person there and when I asked if it was necessary to obtain gas and electricity compliance certification he said there was no requirement to do so.

I must admit I thought there was. Can anyone tell me who's correct and under what circumstances these certifications are required?

It depends on how old the vehicle is.

EU wide certification for gas systems was introduced in 2002/3 (can't remember which year, but around that time) and since then, all new vans must conform to EN 1949, EN 721 and EN1646-1 covering the prevention of risks of fire, explosion and suffocation. 

Recent vans will normally come with a manufacturer EU certificate of conformity (ie, register directly at your prefecture) which will include mention of this gas compliance so no additional certification is required.

Older vans won't have an EU CoC (therefore no gas certificate) so they first have to go through a DRIRE inspection, part of which requires individual certification by Bureau Veritas.

It was (it's been sold to someone else) a 2007 motor home so, presumably, it will have it's covering certificates.

The point is that the man at the Prefecture said they're not interested in gas/electricity certificates for immatriculating the vehicle, so who is?

I think SD has already given you the correct information [;-)], it'll be DRIRE who need to to the physical checks, and for an older vehicle that means first submitting it to a test by Bureau Veritas. You then take your new BV certificate along to the DRIRE for the MOT-like inspection, then take the "pass" certificate to the Prefecture for registration.

With a newer vehicle you don't need to do this particular bit of red tape.

Sid

Archived