Complete France Forum

Importing US vehicles to France

glacier1

[quote user="YannD"]

Hi All

Here's a tale of Woe. I have just tried to import a Jeep Wrangler 1992 to France, UK registered but originally from US. I went all through the paper work, changed lights, had it weighed, Plates showing model, make and weights stamped under bonnet etc. Took it to the DRIRE (In Toulon) only to find out about additional tests at UTAC in Paris (which apparently include checking the driver can see behind using the mirrors )!!!  I am on the Cote d’Azur and original cost of the Wrangler ~5K.

I do wish I had seen this email thread earlier J

Will I bother, I don’t think so.

Cheers

PS anyone want to buy a Jeep Wrangler ?

[/quote]

I am sorry to hear of your troubles, they can be a pain in the proverbial!  I'm going to pass my vehicles in a few weeks time with UTAC, done everything acording to the word of the law plus I'm passing it with a French company to rubber stamp all the work (they do not like any work carried out by yourself or by "mates" if you know what I mean.

Patience is something you need a lot of when dealing with the DRIRE, they are a law unto themselves.  You can complain about them, and go above their heads, head office in my area is Lyon.  But I warn you, it would be like putting a wasp in a paper bag and shaking it violently.  The guy will really be on your case in this senario.  Someone once said that unless you know the French law in detail and are willing to take the DRIRE officer in charge to court, you pretty much have to accept what they said as law. 

Yann, if it's any consolation, I didn't even know about UTAC, they are a new requirement now to passing vehicles from USA/Canada/Australia/Japan.  Before, from what I gather; the DRIRE had offices dotted all over France which handled these vehicles and sorted out the work.  Paris is now the only one open since the office (I think it was down near Marseille) closed. 

From an economic point of view, France DOES NOT want imports from America or any other country outside of Europe because there are MANY models sold all over the world exported from Europe which can be bought at a fraction of a price, lets say in the US, and then shipped back here, under-cutting French prices which are very high.  For example, the guy who's going to work on my FJ Cruiser has family in Florida, he bought, through them, a couple of Porche 911's (2006 model), beautiful car, made in Germany and everything.  They have been shipped back FROM the USA to France, and he's having a NIGHTMARE converting them to French plates, they are picking on everything from windows to seat belts to tires to mirrors.  Everything.  This guy's French and even he's having trouble doing this. 

Acording to him, the bottom line is so long as it doesn't exsist in France, it's quite strait forward. they ask you to do UTAC etc, but the only things you'll change will be tires (if they are not european roadworthy <E12, E11 etc>), fit fog lights and turn off the side lights US cars usually have for daylight running (amber colour, like Pontiac, GMC, Chevrolet etc).  It's pretty much ok then.  If the car exsists, they can ask you to pay again and again for changes to bring it up to French standards.  I was lucky with my Jeep Grand Cherokee, the guy wasn't too hard with me, but he could have been!  This is thanks to Chrysler USA/Canada which uses 1/2 parts made in Europe, my windows for example are E12 conformed.

I know it's all mind-boggling, but take a deep breath, and look at it as a long term project.  You will get there in the end if that's really what you want?

Drop me a private message if you would like to share thoughts Yann.  If not, best of luck with your vehicle!

• 4 months later...
Hi David

Thanks for sharing your experience, its really useful.

I have a chevvy Avalanche from the UK that I would like to register in France.  I'm struggling to get a certifact de non conformité for the RTI process with the DRIRE, so I guess I need to go through the UTAC testing procedure.

I checked out the UTAC site and saw loads of info on controle techniques, but do you know how the reception/approval tests are described/called?  When I search for a UTAC centre near me (dept 06) I can only find CT centres.

Thanks for any advice that you can offer!

kind regards

Ian

• 1 month later...
Hi there,

I am sorry for the long wait to your reply, UTAC is located:-

Siege social et centre d'essais autodrome de linas-monthery - BP 20212

91311 Montlhery CEDEX

Tel: 01.69.80.17.00

When you call them up, talk to them about the possibility of taking your vehicle to Lyon for testing (they are/have??? opening up an office in Lyon for all the southern vehicle registration demands). 

If your vehicle has lpg installed, you need conformity papers for EACH part installed plus change the gas receptor in order to confrom to French law.  You can get this done at your local lpg center in France at the cost of about 200 euro +/-

You need a certificate of non conformity, this can be had from chevrolet.fr, you need to find their main office details, and then find the guy responsible.  Your vehicle WILL NOT pass with its tires (unless you've changed them to E rated tires E = europe), and weight if you have a massive gas tank installed in the back of the boot. 

You need a certificate of no-tax to pay from the local impo.....what do they call it, oh yes....quitus fiscal, fancy name, means everything as a document.

My advise to you is let someone else worry about it.  A garage can pass your vehcile for about 3,000 euro more or less, this includes transporting it up and down from Paris and all the work needed to change your vehicle over to French spec, expect to spend about 6-7 months doing this, I've only passed my FJ Cruiser last week, she's up and running and French road legal now having waited 7 months! 

The fact that it's passed in the UK DOES NOT mean that it can be passed here, you have to start from scatch and you will want to kill someone at some point because they can be annoyed that you bring them work. 

I can supply you with details/contacts if you like, I have no interest in this other than to help you.  I've been there, got the t-shirt!  send me an email at glacierman100@yahoo.com

I hope this helps. 

David

I remember the chevrolet avalanche being passed in the next village to me had problems due to it's PTEC (poids total en charche) which was due to the LPG system being too heavy for the weight of the vehicle, they took ages and if you don't pass, they tell you to take the back seats out!  Honestly!  Another thing to remember is to put the fog light to the left hand side of the vehicle, not the right as in the UK, mirrors are OK, they will pass (as utac put cameras in the vehicle to check angles etc), you will be clobbered by eco-taxes here and for every fiscal horsepower (my FJ Crusier has 23, so it meant I payed 800 euro to register it on French roads even with 1/2 price carte grise due to gas instilation).  Oh yes, and one last thing....good luck!  You'll get there in the end, bring a coupe of those squeezy balls to take your fustrations out on, you'll ware them out in no time!

• 1 month later...
Hi glacier 1, wonder if you can help. I have an old lhd Toyota Previa which I need for occassional use. I bought headlights through a French website to pass the CT here only to find that the bulbholders don't suit the original H4 bulbs. I found bulbs to fit HB1 (9004) which are American but my local garage say that the cannot adjust the beams with these bulbs as the filaments are'nt shrouded like the old H4 type. As you have experience of sorting Yank kit to comply with French regs I wonder if you can help or throw any light on the matter (ha ha). My new headlights are obviusly intended for the U.S market.

Many thanks, Bren - Creuse 23.

Archived