Complete France Forum

Vehicle Security

Gardian

We have a 4yo VW Golf.

I went off to the village this morning as per usual to get the bread etc. Parked in one of the 4 nose-in bays. When I returned to the car, I noticed a slight 'ding' on the front wing - not too serious, but annoying. Oh well, sfa you can do about it, I thought.  I clicked the key fob pinger and got in to the car.

Then, the immediate feeling that this wasn't my car - a bit like if you put on someone else's jacket or overcoat. Immediately realised that this was an identical car - mine was alongside and I simply hadn't noticed. 

Looked around me in embarrassment, but real owner not in sight. I was able to re-lock that car and drive off in mine. I wish now that I'd waited for the other owner to see if his or her key would unlock my car!

Concerning, eh? This shouldn't happen, should it?

I love technological advances in the car industry. We have progresed from being able to unlock your Cortina with anyone elses key to.....oh wait. [blink]

This is actually more common than you would think with remote locking. For my sins, I used to service Daewoos and it wasnt unusual to unlock more than 1 car when shifting cars in the carpark. It happened a few times with Ducato based motorhomes too, although I think the remote locking was an aftermarket system installed by the motorhome company.

I returned to a car park one day to find a guy attacking my car. When I asked what he was doing, he explained that his remote had stopped working. I blipped mine and unlocked the car. He was quite embarrassed to find his identical car a few spaces down.[:D]

Archived