Complete France Forum

Time limit for fixed speeding camera offences in France?

Daft Doctor

Hi, when I was over in France in late October, I was flashed by an under-bridge fixed speed camera on the A40 near Chamonix.  I was probably doing about 100kph in a 90kph limit, driving a swiss hire car, and of course I'm not proud of the fact that I was going too fast.

I am expecting that a demand for a 90 euros (?) fine will wing its way to me in the UK eventually, via Avis in Switzerland, but I just wondered if there is a statutory time limit for issuing speeding tickets in France as there is in the UK?  It would be useful to know when I can let out my breath!  Thanks in advance for any information.  

There is a bilateral agreement between France and Switzerland for enforcement of penalties but how long it takes I couldn't say although I would expect any chance of paying the lower €90 fine instead of the full €135 will be long gone.

http://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/56720-bilateral-speeding-fines-2.html

I've heard that it may be possible for the hire company to automatically charge fines to the credit card you used for the rental. You might think about 'losing' that particular card just in case.

PS: I think the UK statutory time limit does not apply to hire cars, only owner drivers who can be contacted promptly.

Archived