Complete France Forum

BRETAGNE Dept 22

Patruska

Hi...my husband and I are off to Bretange in 3 weeks in search of a property for retirement.  We've flagged a number of places where we have seen possibly some suitable properties.   We have only visited Normandy in the past - this time we're off to Brittany as we think it may be where we would like to buy.  I've read that people suggest visiting areas firstly; getting to know people; etc etc, but I think this would be difficult given our time for a 7 day visit.  Also to continually visit France and other regions over a couple of years or so could take a lot of visits, by which time properties go up in value, so we would prefer to only make a couple of visits and hopefully buy.   We're intending to view properties in the following areas:  Benin, Bonen, Cosquer, Beffou, Bothoa, Caron, Le Pin, Loc, Uzel, Perret.   Has anyone got any thoughts on these areas (Mur de Bretagne) Anyway, we would so appreciate any advice given.  

We're both from South Africa and have been living in the U.K. for the past 6 years but its definitely not the place we want to be in say 2 years time.    We found buying a home in the UK a bit stressful - buying in France in some ways reminds me of buying in SA. 

I look forward very much to any advice.

Kind regards

Patruksa

From the place name refs you have given I see you have visited a certain immobiler online. Are you aware that the properties are not necessarily in these locations but can be 30miles either direction. I looked at his site a couple of days ago and places that are near me in the LOC region are in fact over 20miles away. You may be doing a lot of driving. Also some of the prices are rather over-inflated too,you may find cheaper at local Notaires and save some fees.

Maybe worth your while looking at the www.angloinfo.com Brittany website. It has lots of members so you could ask a few questions there.

We looked in Brittany before moving to the Charente. The weather was a bit damp and miserable (although probably milder in winter than where we are now); we wanted lots of sunshine so, voila, here we are!!

Hi ,

We live in 56 but only 10 mins from the border of 22 (Mur-de-Bretagne) & we've been here nearly 2 years now.  It really is a lovely area (IMO) but be wary of looking at certain websites that offer houses in one area but when you get here, they're 30km away from where you were expecting!

If you want any names of local immos, PM me & I'll see if I can help at all!

(PS Father-in-law is from Cape Town & he adores it here!!)

Here is another Brittany based forum

http://www.community-forum.net/brittany/index.php?sid=83d5199cf0b002c81f46366c4bf62df6

(sorry you will have to copy and paste, I can't do links)

I believe Brittany has had an excellent summer this year ( I swam in the sea in Finistere and I haven't been swimming in the sea anywhere for years - it was too hot to just sit on the beach!!)

It certainly is damper than some parts of France, but then you don't get all that lush green or nothing

Archived