Complete France Forum

Registering a scooter in France - Do I need to???

Kerryp

Hi, new to this forum but it seemed the best one to have my questions answered.

My in-laws live down in Seillans and last year I took my little 49cc Vespa over there in the back of a van. It's been there ever since and I wondered what I need to do to register it in France so it can live in the sun rather than in the UK. I have transferred the Vespa into my mother in laws name on my V5C, but I heard somewhere that under 50cc scooters dont need registering but I think I have seen some over there with plates?? Apologies but I am very new to this whle vehicle thing and wondered if anyone has sme good advice please? [8-)]  . KP.

Only new scooters first registered in France since January 2004 currently have to be registered.  However, as from 31 December 2010, all scooters will have to be registered.

The following scooter dealers are approved to process registrations, so get your mother in law to contact them.  The actual carte grise is free, but the dealer may make a small admin charge.

Scoot Service SARL,  35 Boulevard Carnot  83300 DRAGUIGNAN

Hall du Scooter, 300 ave du General de Gaule  83300 DRAGUIGNAN

Hi Sunday Driver,

Many thanks for your reply. I am over again in a couple of weeks so I will pop into one of the two dealers you mention and ask them about processing a registration. Another silly question, if all small scooters are not registered, do they have to be insured?

Riding my Bonnie over in August - looking forward to that![:D]

kp

Archived