Complete France Forum

Interesting document re registering an imported car

AnOther

Whilst researching another matter I happened on this EU document which makes a rather interesting read:

[url]http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2007:068:0015:0024:en:PDF[/url]

Principally it confirms that a harmonised registration document (V5) should be valid for registration and even the fact that the lights have not been adapted should not necessarily be a bar as it is debatable whether that actually poses, or can be proved to pose, 'a real risk to human health or road safety'.

It would be interesting to see what others think.

Your doubts as to whether non-adapted lights pose a risk to road safety would seem to be at odds with traffic regulations throughout the EU.  If there was no risk, then the various country highway codes would not prohibit the use of headlamps which dazzle oncoming drivers and there would be no reason to withold the issue of a roadworthiness certificate on the basis of incorrect headlamp adjustment.

Whilst non-adapted headlamps do not in themselves invalidate a vehicle's type approval and act as a bar to registration, they must comply with local traffic regulations.  For example, European cars with EU certificates of conformity that are being imported into the UK require separate certification that their headlamps have been modified for driving on the left before they can be registered there. 

On a bike forum I frequent the general consensus on this is that if the relevant data comes up on the computer at the prefecture when the Type Approval Number (Line 'L' on the V5) is entered, registration is possible without obtaining a french CoC.

That said, you still need, as SD has confirmed, an attestation to confirm that the headlights meet the regs.

I posted the the document for discussion so all good stuff [;-)]

Whilst I agree that headlights can potentially pose a hazard it doesn't automatically follow that it would fall into the category of  'a real risk to human health or road safety' ?

After all most of us just wind the height adjustment down when driving in UK for instance but do we really pose a 'a real risk to human health or road safety' driving that way, in all concience could or should we willingly drive if it did ?

The point about an attestation for the lights should not inevitably mean being ripped off by a manufacturer or authorised agent for it's issuance. If a car is over 4 years old and subject to a CT then a pass in that should, in and of itself, be evidence that the lights are properly adjusted so a CT and a harmonised V5 should be all that is necessary for registration.

Indeed, in some case where an outrageous fee is being demanded for such an attestation it might prove a cheaper option to get a CT even if the car doesn't need it. CT stations are well able to do that and in fact I CT'd my Skoda before registering it even though it was best part of 9 months short of it's 4th birthday. The testing station made no comment on the fact.

Still difficult to understand how headlights which potentially pose a hazard can be disassociated from being a risk to road safety......

With regards to un-adapted headlights being a bar to registration, it's more to do with traffic regulations rather than them being a 'real risk to human health or road safety'.  The procedures allow the competent authorities of the receiving member state to assess the technical characteristics of the vehicle and determine which of them are not in accordance with the regulations in force in that member state at the time of its original approval.  It follows that if a UK vehicle fitted with RHD headlamps does not comply with French regulations then the French are entitled to refuse to register it unless it is modified accordingly.

As to being ripped off by the manufacturer or authorised agent, the manufacturer's representative based in the vehicle's country of first registration is required to issue the EU certificate of conformity, so in the case of a UK vehicle, there should be no reason to involve a French agent.

Triumph motorcycles excepted, of course.......[;-)]

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the throes of purchasing a UK reg RHD Fiat aged nearly 3. Ernie has posted a promising looking link for cheap LHD headlamps but I will still have the problem of proving compliance to Cahors.

Perhaps the easiest/quickest/cheapest answer is an early CT?

John

I can only surmise that you are being mischievious in asking [quote user="Sunday Driver"]Who is this 'Cahors'[/quote]

Also 'compliance' seems perfectly obvious - as in conformity - as in C of C - as in, according to the document I linked to, with a Harmonised Registration Document a C of C should not be required for registration (para 3.5.2) but how to convince the Cahors prefecture ([;-)]) of that - hence the suggestion of an early CT which it shouldn't pass with RHD lights following which the prefecture will have no legitimate grounds for arguing conformity - but evidence suggests they almost certainly will.

By sheer happenstance I know someone who is just about to register a UK vehicle in Cahors and with the benefit of perfect French is going to have a go with just the UK V5C, a fresh CT, and a copy of the EU directive, I will report back in due course. Maybe it will be a watershed for them and kinda relates to my signature don't you think [:)]

Going back to your earlier post where you said:-

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]As to being ripped off by the manufacturer

or authorised agent, the manufacturer's representative based in the

vehicle's country of first registration is required to issue the EU

certificate of conformity, so in the case of a UK vehicle, there should

be no reason to involve a French agent. [/quote]

you will note that I made no mention of French agents and the requirement for a manufacturer to issue a C of C relates only to initial registration as stated in para 3.1.1 of

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:C:2007:068:0015:0024:en:PDF

The manufacturer, in his capacity as the holder of the EC type-approval, issues an EC certificate of conformity which shows that the vehicle has been manufactured in conformity with the approved vehicle type. The EC certificate of conformity must accompany each new EC type-approved vehicle.

so 'ripped off' refers to being charged anything up to £150 for a copy of a generic piece of paper which cannot be more than a few mouse clicks and an email away, or at worst at the cost of an envelope and a visit to the franking machine [:'(]

On a personal note, whilst it was you SD who kindly pointed me to ABP for a C of C for my MGB, and I was very happy to be able to get it, at the same time it's hard to see how the €150 fee could have represented the actual effort expended in producing it.

[quote user="Iceni"]I am in the throes of purchasing a UK reg RHD Fiat aged nearly 3. Ernie has posted a promising looking link for cheap LHD headlamps but I will still have the problem of proving compliance to Cahors. Perhaps the easiest/quickest/cheapest answer is an early CT? John[/quote]

'Compliance' is not necessarily perfectly obvious - that's why I asked the question.

I took his comments to mean that he was concerned about headlamp compliance and being asked by Cahors for proof.  He even mentioned your earlier suggestion that a CT certificate might be the answer.

On the other hand, you have interpreted it to mean conformity, C of C, harmonised registration documents, C of C not being required for registration and how to convince the Cahors prefecture of that - none of which had been mentioned by him.

The two year old Fiat he is buying has EU type approval so all he has to do is produce the required evidence and they will issue the carte grise. Whether or not the prefecture will accept the type approval number on the UK V5C has nothing to do with headlamps so supplying a CT certificate for a two year old car is unnecessary.

Sorry SD and ANO, I know what I meant.

As regards LHD headlights I should have written "but how will I prove that I have them?".

Having collected the Fiat there is nothing resembling a CofC in the book so I hope that the number in the logbook will suffice. Time will tell.

John

Archived