Complete France Forum

Registering my Mondeo today

Chezney Pete

After reading how quite a lot of people find registering their UK car here a real problem I did mine today and could not believe how simple and hassle free it was. Two visits (one to the Hotel des Impots in Royan and the other to the Sous Prefecture in Saintes) took no more than three quarters of an hour in total and I have my ‘Certificat Provisoire d’Immatriculation’ ready to go and buy my plates in the morning. I did do my preparation and made certain I had everything I needed so, if you are interested, read on.

My car is a Ford Mondeo just under three years old.

I wrote a letter, in French, to Ford’s HQ (departemente de Service Homologation) here in France asking them for an ‘Attestation de Conformitie’. Within ten days they replied with an official letter requiring some box-filling, my signature and the required payment. I responded the same day and had my official ‘Attestation’ back within a couple of days.

I then ordered my replacement headlights on line from www.mister-auto.com. They offered the best price and the service was great. I fitted them myself.

I went on line and also ‘asked a friend’ to find out where to go and what to take with me.

I downloaded ‘Demande de Certificat d’Immatriculation d’un Vehicle’ - forme no. 10672 and filled in the necessary details. Then I gathered originals of:

• My passport as I don’t yet have a carte vitale

• The original purchase receipt for the vehicle

• The UK registration document

• The ‘Attestation’ from Ford

• A recent utility bill with my name and home address

Then make two copies of each of the above and mark ‘copy’ on them. I also took copies of the invoice for my lights (as I don’t need a controle technique document).

Don’t bother sorting the documents you take as the Hotel des Impots will pick out their needs before giving you the form proving that VAT has been paid in the UK. Then take all this to the Prefecture (or Sous Prefecture) and they will do the same, ask you a couple of general questions and take your payment (cheque, card or cash) before providing you with your Certificat.

A couple of tips. Firstly make sure you have two copies of each document and, secondly, check the opening times of both Offices before you set off.

Perhaps it's time to trade in your divers boots for a pair of driving shoes me awd fruit???[6][6]

And to compair any Ford with a Morgan (V8?) is a VERY unfair thing to do you naughty bent yellow thingy!! (Thinks? Do you actually comply to the EU regs on nanas?)

Archived