Complete France Forum

Insurance advice buying a car ready for the big move

crossy67

Hello all.

We are going to be moving over to France early next year, we are waiting for the paperwork to be sorted for the purchase of our new house then we will be putting wheels in motion.  We intend to be there beginning of either March or April.

We need to buy a car on French plates for our new life but me being fussy want a particular one.  They are not rare but I think I am probably going to have to travel round quite a bit to find the right one, it has to last many years.

I have spent the last week reading loads of topics on here and got some useful info, I have even tried searching without much luck finding the answers I need.  Maybe they are really simple and the sort of stuff you really should know but if you don't ask you will never know.

If I go to see a car in Paris for instance and like it, we do a deal and I part with the cash. 

Would I be able to drive it away straight away, obviously this will depend on the car being ready but could it technically be done? 

Number plates, I have read it mentioned that plates need changing if you move the car to another region, could someone expand and clarify this please? 

Lastly, insurance.  I am assuming I can phone an insurance agent to get cover, could it be arranged to be effective immediately?  As I would not have a vinette to stick on the window would I be able to drive it home?

Thanks for any help and information.

Ian

[quote user="crossy67"]
Would I be able to drive it away straight away, obviously this will depend on the car being ready but could it technically be done?

Yes. You can drive the car under the old carte grise for up to a month, by which time the change of ownership must be registered.  If you are buying the car from a dealer who is authorised to process vehicle registrations, he will be able to issue you with a provisional registration certificate in your name and you'll receive the new carte grise in the post within a week.  The dealer will need a copy of your passport and a utility bill as proof of address.  Otherwise, visit your prefecture when you get home and do it there. 

Number plates, I have read it mentioned that plates need changing if you move the car to another region, could someone expand and clarify this please? 

All changes to vehicle registrations now feature the new 'for life plates (AA-123-BB).  If the car had the old style plates (1234 AB 75) then they'll no longer be valid and will need changing. If the dealer is handling your change of ownership, then he'll fit the new plates for you.

Lastly, insurance.  I am assuming I can phone an insurance agent to get cover, could it be arranged to be effective immediately?  As I would not have a vinette to stick on the window would I be able to drive it home?

No problem.  Ask the insurer to fax a copy of the insurance certificate to you at the dealership.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info Sunday driver.  This is the sort of stuff that is really basic and common knowledge, but only if you know it already.

Papa, how spooky, I was watching that episode of the Inbetweeners last night.  Have you watched it, it's hilarious if not a bit beyond close to the bone lol.

I somehow can't see me collecting that car from Paris and driving it all the way back to Sud Charente lol.

Archived