Complete France Forum

French Driving Licence

hakunamatata

Following my husband's lead I took my Uk licence, passport, sae, proof of residence and two photos down to our mairie. They kindly filled in the form for me and sent it off. It has been returned and they are now asking for a proof of marriage 2 more copies of UK licence and "visite medicale en cabinet chez un medecin agree afin de valider vos categories lournes E(B) c-E(C) -D-E (D)( si nous le souhaitez)

My husband was ever asked for a medical examination or a marriage cert. Can anyone clarify this please

You only need the medical for the categories specified - I think it says si vous le souhaitez (if you wish) not nous, doesn't it?  For the basics, you don't need one unless you have a medical problem or handicap.  Thus it only matters if you want to tow large trailers etc.

I was asked for the marriage certificate too.  It's the French obsession with wanting your maiden name on everything and thus won't have mattered for your o/h.

They are asking for your birth certificate because they want to verify your maiden name (nom de jeune fille) which is your 'official' name in France. 

The licence categories you mention are on your UK licence and they're saying if you want them putting on your French licence then you need a medical.  If you're not bothered about towing a heavy trailer, driving a light truck or a 17 seater minibus, then say no and they'll just issue you with a straight category B licence which covers you for cars and light vans/minibuses.

Edit:  went to put the kettle on whilst typing this and Coops beat me to it......[;-)]

Archived