Complete France Forum

GPS - Garmin nuvi 255w

sueyh

You may have bought a micro SD rather than an SD. You can buy an SD that has a slot to fit the micro SD into it, and then you fit it into the GPS.

You could also copy the contents of the micro SD onto an SD with a PC providing that there is no copy protection on it.

I just had a look at the manual and it seems to me you don't need a card to update, it overwrites the original, internal, memory. You may need the card if you want to add extra maps, is this what you are doing?

Of course I may be wrong so perhaps others can check, the manual can be found HERE.

I have a 265WT, and maps can only be updated by connecting the sat nav unit to a pc/laptop vis the data connection lead, and following the on line instructions. The sd cards can only be used Garmin travel guides/extra mapping and photographs.

I'd power it up and use the reset, then connect on line and get the latest firmware, then it will load updated maps.

There was a recall on the Nuvi range where batteries were frying themselves, and some were loosing data, but that should be on the Garmin site as well.

Thank you F1steveuk, that was what I was attempting to do.  Had plugged it into my pc and it was working fine, then all of a sudden the screen went blank and there is nothing, we had just paid for the lifetime update too!!

Suey

Been doing a bit of reading for you and it's a little complicated depending on how old your GPS is even though it may be the same model.

The first thing is that it may not get power from the PC so I would charge it. This could be because the PC has failed in some way or it's not capable of powering the unit. If you don't have a mains charger then plug it in to your car when you next go out, you don't have to turn the unit on for it to charge.

After that there are two things you can do the first being a master reset. There should be a button on the bottom, it may be covered with a label, you need to press this for 8 seconds and it should return to factory defaults i.e. like it came out the box. It will be a very small hole, not big enough possibly to put the tip of a ballpoint pen in but the tip of a cocktail stick will just about do the job.

If there is absolutely no button to press on the bottom then on some models you can move the On Off button to ON and hold it down for about 8 seconds. If it comes up with something about calibrating the screen then it's not done a reset but there is no need to panic, follow the on-screen instructions then just move on to the next bit below.

The other thing is if it was trying to download data and was interrupted for some reason. You can delete the user data (which will leave the original map and operating software) by holding the bottom right of the screen and then turning on the GPS leaving your finger there until a message comes up about deleting user data and you really wanting to do it followed by the option to say Yes or No, obviously select Yes.

If none of the above works then you have a problem and if in warranty send it back.

Hi

I have one of these. The SD card is only for photo's and other gimicks.

I had the same problem and contacted Garmin. What you need to do is to connect your USB cable and delete all the laguages and voices apart from the one you want to use. Also delete all the different silly car icons. You will then have a standard triangle to show your position.This will free up enough internal memory for your maps.

By the way I would advise backing up the Garmin files on your computer before you start to delete things. But it worked for me.

[quote user="fisherman"]Hi I have one of these. The SD card is only for photo's and other gimicks.[/quote]

Not strictly accurate. It is possible to run the device from mapping installed onto a SD card.

If it wasn't possible, why would Garmin actually sell micro/SD cards with the mapping for several countries including the US and Europe?

[quote user="fisherman"]I had the same problem and contacted Garmin. What you need to do is to connect your USB cable and delete all the laguages and voices apart from the one you want to use. Also delete all the different silly car icons. You will then have a standard triangle to show your position.This will free up enough internal memory for your maps. By the way I would advise backing up the Garmin files on your computer before you start to delete things. But it worked for me.[/quote]

Before being able to access the language, voice and vehicle files, the OP will first need to be able to access the files within the device which can only be achieved by connection to a PC. If she has tried a recharge and reset, and still cannot get the PC to recognise the device, it could be a more serious problem.

Have managed to get it going again.  plugged it into computer and then went into voice, vehicle files and got rid of bits, managed to download enough maps for our journey to the south of France.

Ta everyone, your help as always in invaluable.

Suey

Archived