Complete France Forum

New car France

Alpinemist

So we ended up ordering a new car from a dealership in the UK (LHD). It was an OK deal so we decided against 2nd hand route.

The question, when we move permanently to France and drive the car off the Ferry/Train do we need to register the car at customs or can we register in the next couple of days locally so we then get asked for the tax. We need to change driving licenses etc (we want to do everything properly).

When we initially arrive the car will be loaded plus me, OH and dog so I'm sure it will be chaos. If we can avoid customs for that one day it would be good.

Some folks have had a rude surprise when trying to register vehicles thru Impot folk - normally buy car taxfree and immediately export car to France and then pay French TVA or keep in UK for 6 months then export. SD will hopefully come along and confirm this - I have successfully imported 2 cars following this.

Here is link to what is required to register your car in France:

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/getNotice.do?cerfaFormulaire=13750&cerfaNotice=51291

Here's the form to fill (online, then print off):

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_13750_02.do?jeton=TxA10gEvnIKKVgEvqGzm_26l

[quote user="Alpinemist"]

So we ended up ordering a new car from a dealership in the UK (LHD). It was an OK deal so we decided against 2nd hand route.

[/quote]

Did you get a good price? LHD are often (usually) more expensive in UK. And by the time you've paid your VAT etc, will you still be in pocket?

If it's registered and taxed in the UK (it's a new car so MoT doesn't apply) then once you become a French resident you will have short period to get it re-registered here in France. Possibly up to 6 months, but more and more I'm seeing that you may only have 1 month. I'm sure SD will tell us... again!! Some insurance companies are getting tougher about this, and so many of us seem to think it's OK to ignore it. I know a couple of people ho have been here longer than us (8th year) and are still driving on UK plates. Whichever way you have purchased the main point is that it must comply with the regulations concerning tax, insurance and MoT (CT) etc. for the country in which it is registered. And then, if you are living here permanently, you must get it registered here... asap.

When you drive off the ferry they don't know whether you are coming on holiday or actually moving house, so it's up to you to do the necessary. It's only later when you haven't changed the registration and you are involved in an accident and the insurance company starts to get suspicious that things start falling apart.

If you have a UK licence you don't have to change it. If it's a photo licence, it will only last 10 years anyway and then you WILL have to change it for a French one.

Bon courage!

[quote user="cooperlola"]I think that is a little unfair on Alpinemist, AnO.  What he is asking is precisely when he will have to pay the French TVA - not whether, how, or how much. [/quote]

Sorry Coops, I didn't read it that way. I don't think the TVA is paid at the border though is it? Wouldn't it be local to where you live?

[quote user="sid"][quote user="AnOther"]

Nothing has changed since you were told the rules in responses to the thread you started on the same topic last year [;-)]

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/4/2207564/ShowPost.aspx#2207564

[/quote]

Aha! I didn't see that, but this comes up time and again and I'm sure SD must have a stock reply ready to paste into his browser! [:)]

[/quote]I'm obviously very dim, but I've looked at that thread and cannot see where it gives the info' Apm has just asked for.  

The question, when we move permanently to France and drive the car off the Ferry/Train do we need to register the car at customs or can we register in the next couple of days locally so we then get asked for the tax. We need to change driving licenses etc (we want to do everything properly).

[/quote]!

Not that it matters - I'm sure that S/D will answer as necessary, it just seemed a bit rude to poor Alpinemist who seemed to me to be asking a different question.[:)]

One of the points I made was that there is nothing to identify the car as having had its VAT paid (or not) when you drive off the ferry. In fact often there is no one there at all! So I can't see why you would have to pay there and then. A document check might bring it to light. It all depends how the vehicle was purchased, surely. Whether as an export purchase with no VAT, or as a UK car, fully paid up.

I did re-read my old thread before posting to make sure i wasn't duplicating. It was purely about when to declare to pay the tax. (thanks Coop for coming to my defence).

To answer questions, I got a LHD for the same price as RHD. I'm on the old paper license as I've been out of the UK so long.

In the eyes of the French administration: Définition du véhicule neuf : moins de 6 mois OU moins de 6.000 Km.

So, if and when you have to pay TVA on the car depends on how old it is and how many km are on the clock when you finally import it.

CBC65

I did re-read my old thread before posting to make sure i wasn't duplicating. It was purely about when to declare to pay the tax. (thanks Coop for coming to my defence).

[/quote]

Answer is when you pay the VAT when you start the process of re-registering it - which as has been said should be within one month of arrival.

When I mentioned Impot perhaps I should have clearer - certainly not at the border. Your first port of call when registering a vehicle (unless older than 4 yrs - you may have already done your CT) is the Hotel D'Impots (excuse spelling I live in Italy - SWMBO gets the cars), here you will present your invoice for a new car - this is where any charges will apply - depending how switched on you have been. Generally, unless you have a diplomatic/military entitlement, you will need to pay tax somewhere. The trick is not to pay it twice through not observing the rules :)

Sorry, but having read the older post and just to be a bore and to clarify things, am I correct in assuming that if you buy a second hand LHD (or RHD for that matter) car in the UK which is at least 6 months old and has at least 6,000km on the clock, then when you import it to France there would be no TVA liability there?

Thanks in anticipation

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]Sorry, but having read the older post and just to be a bore and to clarify things, am I correct in assuming that if you buy a second hand LHD (or RHD for that matter) car in the UK which is at least 6 months old and has at least 6,000km on the clock, then when you import it to France there would be no TVA liability there? Thanks in anticipation[/quote]Yes. 

You do need proof that VAT has been paid in Britain.

No, you don't. You just need some kind of confirmation of purchase - I cannot stress how scrappy our 'receipts' were from private sellers and we had no problem at all getting a 'quitus fiscal' from our local Hôtel d'Impôts.

CBC65

Archived