Complete France Forum

Type Approval - Supply of Catalytic Converters (103R)

kylet

Hi,

I'm sorry to turn up here asking this question I have just been pulling my hair out trying to find an answer from a number of people in the UK including the manufactures of Catalytic Converters and also the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency), I thought it may be a question worth asking someone who lives/d in France as they may have come across this when purchasing one for themselves.

In the UK as of 2009 all vehicles registered after March 2001 have to have what we call a Type Approved Catalyst, I have had a number of questions from customers in France asking if this law applies to them. At first I was informed that all vehicles in Europe must have a Type Approved item no matter what the year is, since then I have been told this can change country to country depending on how they have adopted the regulation.

I will make it clear we are an online parts suppliers (small online eBay company), I apologise if this question is a little off topic we would just like to clear this up and be able to supply a fair price to all customers.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Kyle

P.S: If you require any more information please ask and I will come back ASAP.

Given that the UK Vehicle Certification Agency is the organisation responsible for EU type approvals in the UK, I'm surprised they haven't been able to answer your query.

Since the introduction of European Whole Vehicle Type Approval, all vehicles and components manufactured for commercial sale in the EU must conform to common technical and safety standards. In addition to the requirements for manufacturer built vehicles, a number of standards also apply to after market products as well as Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts. Examples of these include Tyres, Glass, Exhaust systems and replacement brake linings to name a few. Components which have EU type approval are marked with an E symbol.

The regulations apply to all EU member states, including France.

Hi,

Hi Sunday Driver, Thanks for the reply I am aware the Regulation does apply but in the UK the enforcement date is March 2001 onwards for 'older' vehicles, I just cannot seem to find out when this date is for France. The VCA told me the rules for the UK but could not even tell me for the Republic of Ireland, they say that each country has its own 'take' on the regulation and I would need to find the information for each one.

Bob T: I have made sure there is nothing in my post that would give any clue as to who I was working for, I'm not looking for sales just a little advice ;)

Sorry and you are right I have asked a question with no question lol, I am looking to find out if the 103R regulation applies to older vehicles in France and if yes when this applies from (In the UK it is March 2001).

Thank you both for your time.

Archived